-

dibbons

Reaction score
Re: 1965 Formula S
build sheet--Paint & Style: SS1 Ivory exterior color
fender tag shows WW1 = white
vehicle appears to have been white
Any logical explanation?

Chrysler screwed up nearly as many build sheets as they got right.

We pulled a build sheet out of a legit AAR cuda, in the rear of the passenger's bucket seat that was for a 318 car with a different vin. Yeah. We were not quite pleased when we pulled it carefully out and read the vin.

Doesn't surprise me that they would have gotten the build wrong on color. Another thing that they could have done was simply shot the car on WW1 day. They sent everything down the booth line, from every make and every size that went the same color. It could have simply been an operator error or an assembly line manager making use of extra paint that day, trying to simplify some assembly without changing much in the production numbers.

Thanks. I just noticed other discrepancies:
1) build sheet shows code 30 for 273 2 barrel and fender tag shows the correct code 31 for the 273 Commando;
2) build sheet under "Air Cond. Heater" shows a 40 which is heater with defroster and fender tag shows 1 which is the correct A/C with heater;
3) build sheet under "Power Brakes 411" is blank and fender tag shows 1 to designate power brakes.

P.S. Do you happen to know where the option for day/night rearview mirror is documented?

Are you sure that the build sheet is the proper one for your car???

Day night may have been a mirror package in general or a part of some pack. Look and see if there is anything that may include it.

I'd be willing to bet that a manager just sent the car along the way to build it as per the fender tag. The fender tags that were hung told all and had a corresponding sheet, but the assembly was generally up to the decision of the assembly manager based on nothing more than a basic idea of what it was/ should have been.

I've seen a few screw ups on Vin codes and they generally just didn't let the car vary from what it was supposed to be, regardless of what the build sheet and sometimes, even the fender tag said.

If it had a firewall for A/C, they would have put it in, even if the build sheet and the fender tag didn't call for it, because otherwise, the car would have been sent to correct at the end of the line. They tried to keep that to a minimum, to help production, so crap like typos and tags that didn't correspond with build sheets got a quick decision made by a manager to keep production moving smoothly.

Yep-I have talked to quite a few of the old guys that worked at the Fenton plant.Managers had to deal with all sorts of problems from typo's to labor problems to theft and on to supply.GM and Ford were no better.These cars were built by humans and humans make mistakes.Generally they did a good job but flash decisions had to be made and the guy making them wasn't perfect so he made the best decision at the time and we bought the end result.

P.S. Do you happen to know where the option for day/night rearview mirror is documented?

For 1965 the day/night inside rearview mirror was option code 522 and priced at $4.20 extra.
On the build sheet under "mirrors" and you will find the number "52" and the words "prismatic/vanity" above a square. If the square is blank, then no "prisimatic/vanity", if a "2" is there, then one was put in.

For 66, same info as above with the exception that the sales code was 534 and the cost was $4.15 extra.

-
Back