Building a body line help needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on a 66 dodge dart. The body actually isnt that bad, however I made things worse by deciding not to use the original body belt trim which means weld the holes shut that were for the fasteners. Originally I filled the holes with the 3M 8115 body panel glue. But after talking to some body guys and hearing that in a few years the material may shrink and leave a visible spot I decided to do the permanent weld the holes shut fix. Of course that distorts the metal some so now there is a little body work needed around every hole. Before I welded them shut I tapped each hole in some so there would be less grinding before filling and sanding.
Now my real issue is how do I rebuild the body line on the front fender. Im talking about where the trim belt went on. The pic below you can see the area I am talking about. The area where the delt trim was is only about 1 1/8" wide. It is raised off the body until it blends into the fender just behind the 4th hole. The two lines, (top and bottom of that area is where i am having the line issue.) Its a slightly rounded line. Not a sharp line and where the body filler has to be put i need to know the best method to keep that line straight and correct height. What is the best method for sanding and making the lines straight.
DSCN1664.JPG

Ive seen how tape can be used but do I start on the flat area or the side area. Heres where I am right now.
DSCN1812.JPG

DSCN1813.JPG

It looks like the line is there but its not straight and it seems like all im doing is putting on filler and then sanding it off. I also had to weld the 4 other holes shut which makes for more area to add filler and sand. I hope this makes sense and I look forward to hearing your methods so I can get this area done.
Thanks in advance, Rod

What size / shape sanding block are you using? Your block should be as long as possible, and at least long enough to span the three low spots you're trying to fill in. I'd recommend you wrap your sandpaper around a wood dowel or piece of PVC pipe to remake the radius along the top and bottom, then you can finish the flat part in the center pretty easily with a long flat block. Get creative with what you use for sanding blocks, it's amazing what you'll find around the garage.
Right now it looks like you're getting too much filler build-up above your welded spot. Unless you really warped or dented your fender you shouldn't have much filler there when you're done. I know what you mean when you feel like all you're doing is putting filler on and sanding it all off.
I am by no means a professional body man but I've gotten good results with the above recommendations and a lot of patience.
Good luck!
Scott

I'm using the duration block kit which I think has 7 different blocks. 3 of them Are 12-14" long and flat, one long round probably 1", and one narrow and long then 2-6" blocks. Also am using a wooden dowel probably 3/8" round and 10" long. If I understand you correctly your saying build the sided first then move to top. I probably agree that the key is patience which I'm not good at. Body work is very frustrating! Thanks for your advice.
Rod

-
Back