building a mild Daily driver 318

-
...exactly what is needed "318"
Oh My..."what you need torque".."i added this and mine works good"...
"you need bigger valves"..."you have to have 9.0:1 compression"..."This
is a great cam"...what you really need is port velocity"..."it's gears"
Probably all good information but results are needed to complete the picture

I'm going to "in the near future" do just what is always asked here on FABO time and time again. This thread is the perfect example. I'm going to do a "true budget with real dollars spent" LA 318 "bolt-on" performance upgrades without rebuilding an untouched short block. I'm starting with a 318 2bbl, right where a lot of newbies enter our hobby. I will not ask for opinions, but rather show what I spend, and what I did. I will have "realistic" expectations, and I will run it at the drag way to see if they were met. I will also check the mpg. Should be fun.

Now THIS is my kind of build! very cool and keep us posted!

I'm going to "in the near future" do just what is always asked here on FABO time and time again. This thread is the perfect example. I'm going to do a "true budget with real dollars spent" LA 318 "bolt-on" performance upgrades without rebuilding an untouched short block. I'm starting with a 318 2bbl, right where a lot of newbies enter our hobby. I will not ask for opinions, but rather show what I spend, and what I did. I will have "realistic" expectations, and I will run it at the drag way to see if they were met. I will also check the mpg. Should be fun.

That sounds like a great thread.

Done the budget 318 a few times. I wont spoil what you will do�� but just wait and see how your approach will differ from mine. Had a few hopped up "teen" 350 chev eaters!

^^^^As I've stated before, if mopar people loved the 318's the way Ford fans love their 302 fox bodies, there would be a whole lot more 11 second 318's on the street. Even when somebody chooses to build a 318, they are under strict instructions to build it very mildly, ya know, maybe a 15's or high 14 second car until you get a 360 or a stroker. Never, I mean NEVER plan to go fast with a teen. And, IF you do, you will be shot out of the sky like Spareparts, whose teen was one of the fastest street cars on this site. It does NOT settle well with folks that build strokers to get swallowed up by a 318. They won't cheer you, they will spite you. I love all mopar V8's, including the strokers, but it also includes the 318.

Just wanted to congratulate and thank everyone involved in this thread for their contributions..... Fantastic thread and some of my favourite posters here....

Absolutely love the enthusiasm, motivation and dedication shown by "318 will run" here to the greater teener cause......

Very interested in taking a 318 to the next level and releasing a teen from the the usual mild upgrade shackles..... personally not heard of, or familiar with "spareparts" or his engine/upgrades..... Can anyone point me to any related links/posts/info/details please??.....

Happy New Year to All

As for the op, rebuild the stock bottom end, add a small cam, headers and 4bbl.
Think torque
Easy on the wallet and makes a nice driver.

Well after doing a lot of research on line and talking to a lot of mopar people add the casting 302 last digits on the casting# these will take the 188 and 160 valves and then get the P434 9557 Mopar head gasket these are thinner 0.40 the pistons in the 318 can be any where from 30 to 80 thousands in the hole from top dead center just remember the thinner the gasket it might throw the intake off a little that just means machining the intake to get the bolts to line up. Just to let you know the 302 are getting hard to find but that depend on your scrap yards that you have available and also these have the hard seats for the exhaust valves early 318s heads do not.I am dealing with all this as i write this. I have found the 302s and having them done this month. The cam is going to be a comp cam but we have not came up with the numbers yet. Just a dual plane intake with a 600 cfm carb with vacuum secondary is what i have coming. Performer intake everyone has an opinion on intakes just remember a dual plane.To get more dual exhaust i was told either way headers or manifolds.I went with 2.5inch with headers. The motor I am using is a 67 that someone had gone 30 over on the pistons but did not know mopar had the issues with compression right from MA Mopar so that is why i am just changing the heads and adding the 4 barrel and duel exhaust. With this all being said hoping for 330 HP will not be able to dyno it till spring to fine tune it up. So i am also dealing with The 8.75 rear end the A body cars have the lousy 1 1/2 drum brakes. The drums are getting hard to find for these and if you do find them it would cost just as much to put Disc brakes on and then the rims are also a pain 5 on 4 inch to put decent rims on you have to up grade the axles to 5 on 4.5 $400.00 and another $ 400.00 for the larger drums or disc so if the 8.25 is good enough go that route. Does not cost $800.00 to $1000.00 to have a drive shaft cut down and to mess with old crap when modern stuff is available. And all this is for the love of a Demon.Good luck

Forgot a few things. Most people will tell you that you get more bang for the buck to go with the 360. I have one but that another story to be told later. look for the 400 HP 318 Hot Rod put out interesting read. anything on the intranet for 318 will help with the build.

-
Back