Building my first torqueflite.

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
I just finished building my 904 in my 67 Cuda.
I worked Saturday 10 to 12 midnight.
Sunday 10 to 10.
Monday 8 to 3.
The 904 works really good .....but will be taking it back out for a couple of reasons.

I want to tighten up the clutch packs a little more.
I set the rear pack at .041 and the front pack at .135 due to a lack of new pressure plates,snap rings and bushings...... and garage lift time.

The packs are very loose for sure.

The trans was built in 2008 and lasted till now.
The front band was shot and the rear clutch pack was toast.
Whats funny is the front clutch pack was in good shape and set up very loose.
The original builder said he made the front pack tighter then that but it sure didn't look that tight.

Same pressure plates where used with the same number of frictions and steels.

Again I would have made the changes, but was short on parts and garage time for any major changes.

I used the Mancini race kit.

I had to have the car off the lift by Monday morning and it was tuff being on my own and having a dead line.

Today I worked on adjusting it and it seems to work pretty good.

I am thinking of getting a full manual valve body and tightening up the clearances when i built it again.

One thing worth mentioning is, when i took it apart ,i notice no bushing between the input shaft and the rear output shaft.
I now know the bushing is for the clearance setting between both shafts.
I never installed one due to it not being in the case when taken apart.

This is another reason i want to take it out and make it better.

I had the trans taken apart- in 2008 -right after i started the new engine because the mopar performance convertor i bought failed.

A second shop helped me out with the tear down and checked it out.

It worked fine after that and has been together and running for 5 years.

The second shop must have forgot to re-install the shaft bushing when they put it back together in 2008.

I didn't have a bushing to install and did not have the time to get one.
The shafts had a little galling from rubbing but over all looked good.

So much for adjusting the output shaft end play lolol.............

It will soon get the parts it needs....you wouldn't know it if you drove it though ....it works great..........lol.

Anyways.........Here's to all the do it your self MOPAR MECHANICS.:drinkers:

.041 on the rear clutch is just fine. I'd leave it alone. .135 on the front pack is pretty loose but don't get crazy with it and tighten it up too much (no tighter than .055") or you may have 2-3 shift overlap. Something else you might consider is using thinner clutch plates like the rear pack uses. Using thinner plates lets you get an extra clutch plate in, and it may tighten things up also. Tightening the end play up is a good idea too. I shoot for .015~.020"....

On another note, manual valve bodies don't seem to be as touchy on clearances, meaning they'll work great with a wider range of clearance vs. a stock valve body.

-
Back