Building the 999 geared 904

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
A few years ago MA magazine had an article on putting 999 gears into a non lockup 904.
Well I have a non lockup 904, The four gear 999 planetaries, A non lockup input shaft and pump, Non lockup valve body, five clutch front drum and most of the other parts mentioned in the article. Problem is I lost the magazine.

Is there any sources on the net that anybody knows of for this buildup? I want to use a 340 convertor that I have and put it behind a 300-350 horse 318.

And I aint the smartest tranny builder. I have done some 727 and I am well capable of doing the build but I could use pictures if possible.

Main thing I want to do is build a cool 999/904 with all the bells and whistles available with stock parts. In other words no titanium drums or stuff like that.

I am still going to try to find a back issue of the magazine(MA doesnt have any). One thing I remember is that it showed some good tech such as difference in spline shape (Not spline count) and certiant parts were better than others for some increased power handling.

Thanks

Why not just find a non lockup 999?

Ya, searched for months for a 999 with no luck.

So I'm doing the same. Building one from a 904. I purchased both the ATSG manual & the "How to 727" that many have recommended. I went with Alto Red clutches, kevlar bands, rebuild kit & the Transgo TF-2 shift kit. Also, got bushing & thrust washer kit. Most came from Bulkpart / Matko. They have great prices.Just finished the valve body & starting on the rest of the unit this week.

Please post the article if you can find it, would really like to read it myself. There are a few guys on here that can answer pretty much any specific question on parts interchange. Pics always help.

A few years ago MA magazine had an article on putting 999 gears into a non lockup 904.
Well I have a non lockup 904, The four gear 999 planetaries, A non lockup input shaft and pump, Non lockup valve body, five clutch front drum and most of the other parts mentioned in the article. Problem is I lost the magazine.

Is there any sources on the net that anybody knows of for this buildup? I want to use a 340 convertor that I have and put it behind a 300-350 horse 318.

And I aint the smartest tranny builder. I have done some 727 and I am well capable of doing the build but I could use pictures if possible.

Main thing I want to do is build a cool 999/904 with all the bells and whistles available with stock parts. In other words no titanium drums or stuff like that.

I am still going to try to find a back issue of the magazine(MA doesnt have any). One thing I remember is that it showed some good tech such as difference in spline shape (Not spline count) and certiant parts were better than others for some increased power handling.

Thanks
what rear gear are you ging to use? anything more than 355 will make a pretty short 1-2 shift. also check the pump cover to that five clutch drum. the four clutch drum stator won't work without some machine work. the input shaft has to match the stator. the 360 band works well on that five disc drum also.

I believe it's covered in the MA tech special CD that they sell at Moparaction.com. Email Rick and ask him!

-
Back