built up 318 oddly low MPG's? hp rating?

-
Ya I am pretty sure I have at least 8:1 compression. It runs really well and has a lot of get up and go, they guy I work for is a car nut and has 9 classic muscle cars including a 79 corvette with a 355hp 350, 67 gtx with a 375hp 440, and a 67 el camino with a 425hp 427. I've driven them all a lot and can tell you that my car can hold its own quite handily.

I have a 87 VW Jetta that gets 30mpg. Im well on my way to the Naval academy, haha believe me this car comes second to most things, but yes I am getting a little tired of working on it and want to drive it.

When I installed the cam I checked the timing and timing chain and calculated that it is in correctly as it should be. Went through the carb. last night and changed a bit, it runs a bit better now. the 64 jets it used to have before toms performance DID run a bit lean and had hesitation so I dont they were too far off from putting in 68's. I have new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, mag pick up, ballast resistor. I may invest in a new coil shortly. I just installed my 3.55 posi rear end and put new-used 225/60/15's and I Know my speedo is off 6% and my odom. by 11% when I checked it with my GPS a week ago. I will run down a complete leak down test soon

but I mean I read on Holley's site that 16-18hg of vacuum is what you are looking for and as off last night I went from 14 to 16. so that's a check mark. the timing is only about 14 degrees initial so it's not that bad, sounds great and is a good runner I'm really curious to dyno it but I'm guessing it has 280-290hp. So do all my car/mopar guys who helped me build it, so nature of the beast lol.

Thanks guys

You seem to have your priorities straight. Drive the car now and enjoy it.

Congrats if you've got the USNA appointment in the bag. Great school and one of three that guarantees you a job when you get out. lol

Unless they've changed the rules since the old days, you won't have a car on campus until the last few weeks of your senior year.

Well dang, if your 318 can hang with a BBC then you can call it a day ;)

-
Back