built up my solid state instrument voltage limiter today.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I found lots of general info off the net in regards to building one of these, seems pretty easy except for one thing, i have a rallye dash with the IVR located inside the gas gauge.

After removing the gas gauge from the cluster, i carefully unbent the tabs on the sides of the fuel gauge , and slid the gage face with the top cover for the internals away taking care not to bend the pointer. Inside is the little devil known as the vibrating point regulator. I will remove this regulator leaving the 5 V gas gauge feed wire, and sending unit signal wires alone.

Its also interesting to note that the back of the gas gauge actually presses on a bare metal spot in the gage housing it bolts into as the ground for the gas gauge.

The wire color code i used is
Red 12 volts power to solid state regulator
Yellow 5 volts output to gauges
Black case ground.

Capacitor is between 5 and 100 microfarads mine is 15uf
Negative leg of capacitor to ground leg of solid state regulator, positive leg of capacitor to 12 volt input leg of solid state regulator.

I still have to make up a heatsink for under the regulator, but it was a fun little project. I will add pix as soon as i load them.

Matt

Well i'd love to post pix, but apparantly my camera takes pix with files that are too large.

Well i'd love to post pix, but apparantly my camera takes pix with files that are too large.

Resize them in Paint, or better yet Office Picture Manager if you have it. You can also change the setting on your camera too, to take smaller pics.

-
Back