Bullfrog Pictures

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
This little guy hangs out most of the day in my Goldfish pond. He/She just quietly sits on a Lily pad and never makes a sound. I'm guessing he came in on the Lily as an egg when I got it last year. Does anyone know what kind of frog he is? Aren't frogs nocturnal?
DSC00383.jpg
DSC00377.jpg

Cool pics but I don't believe it's a bullfrog, bullfrogs are alot bigger and he would be croaking alot at night. Frogs are more active at night, during the day they hide in the shade or under stuff. Did you name your new friend yet?

Looks like your plain old garden variety Leopard Frog. I don't know if they're nocturnal or not. They sure make a lot of noise at night though.

It's a Pickerel. Pretty common in our parts. Leopard frogs look very similar but the markings are different. My brother and I used to walk the creeks and find ponds to catch them when we were young.

It's a Pickerel. Pretty common in our parts. Leopard frogs look very similar but the markings are different. My brother and I used to walk the creeks and find ponds to catch them when we were young.
Thanks. I thought leopard at first also but no white spot on the Ear Drum.

Cool pics but I don't believe it's a bullfrog, bullfrogs are alot bigger and he would be croaking alot at night. Frogs are more active at night, during the day they hide in the shade or under stuff. Did you name your new friend yet?
I didn't get to name it yet. Still trying to determine if it's Male or female.

Cool little frog... Go non gender name.. Pat, cris, Fran, carol or Leslie. Good luck!

I feel bad for this little frog because it's all alone. Just sits on the Lily Pads. I named it Gerry which is sort of Non Gender. I'm thinking it's a girl because it never makes a sound. I figure a male would be croaking trying to get some lovin'.

Bullfrogs have a VERY distinctive tempanic membrane (ear) RIGHT behind their eyes on the sides of their head. It is usually at least twice the size of their eyes. Like this.

Attachments

• FROG.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 196
Yup that is a pickerel frog. He may have just found your pond and made it his home. Frog eggs are laid in clusters so I doubt he came in as an egg.

I feel bad for this little frog because it's all alone. Just sits on the Lily Pads. I named it Gerry which is sort of Non Gender. I'm thinking it's a girl because it never makes a sound. I figure a male would be croaking trying to get some lovin'.

Is Gerry still around?

-
Back