Bumper brackets

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
This is on a 69 dart GT. I am talking about the rear bumper.

There are two center brackets. Each have 2 mounting holes to the body and 2 mounting holes in the bumper.

There are two outer brackets that are riveted to the body, one rivet, one bumper bolt. You cannot seem to get to the back of those rivets.

My question is, are the outer brackets even needed? I just bought ligenfelter aluminum brackets front and rear and am considering doing away with these 2 outer brackets.

Last edited:
The outer brackets are undoubtably needed or the bumper would rattle and flex, and probably mar up the edges of the front fenders!

I dont understand the rivets ? Where are there rivets ? You must be refering to the front since the rear only has 2 brackets .

I dont understand the rivets ? Where are there rivets ? You must be refering to the front since the rear only has 2 brackets .

My rear bumper has 4 brackets.

2 of them unbolt with 2 bolts. THe others do not. I will post a picture.

Duh ... I had to go out and look at mine again . The little end brackets.
Mine are bolted on not riveted.
They may have been riveted from the factory but possible that dealers and body shops replaced with bolts on first removal . I have seen service buletins and procedures that channge the style of fastener upon first service of that part for modern cars.
Some ball joints for instance...

I have no access on mine to the backside of that bracket.

They are a PITA to get those bolt on. My hand alone barely can get up in there.

I will look closer at mine . I just went thru this while reassembling my Swinger. I do vaguely remember having to jack around with them now .

Washer
NSPIN6X18BLK - Spin Nut Black Oversized Washer

I think I used captured washer nuts and a closed end wrench to hold the nut down in the trunk extension while starting the nut by hand from the outside. IIRC...? This was done while bumper was off and I left the bolt loose until the bumper side bolts were in place.

I think this is how I did it...????

8F968CBE-0C3F-440C-BDCF-0394B11FE9B3.jpeg

This nut with a larger washer... like the lower fender attatchment.

-
Back