bumper gaurds

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
did they make two separate bumpers, one with a hole for the bumper guards or am I just missing something on how to put these bumper guards on the front of this 72 demon ? anyone know how they go on?

Attachments

• 20131110_130826.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20131110_130842.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20131110_130852.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 165
Need a photo of the backside of the bumper guards. Most ive seen have a threaded nut welded to the "mounting bracket" also welded to the bumper guard itself. A bolt would go from the backside of the bumper to thread I'm to the guard itself. I apologize if this sounds confusing.

yep. Get a the bolt you need should be the same length as the bumper bolt. Those eliminate the smooth bumper bolt that can be seen in the photo of your demons front bumper

so your saying it uses the same hole that smooth bolt is in now?

so I don't need to drill a hole or get another bumper ...right?

so your saying it uses the same hole that smooth bolt is in now? so I don't need to drill a hole or get another bumper ...right?
yes ma'am! It's that easy. Rani, you think too much lol no drills or new bumpers required

yes ma'am! It's that easy. Rani, you think too much lol no drills or new bumpers required

dang ...just when I got my 1/2 drill warmed up .....now I have to tell it "its ok sweety go back to sleep in your toolbox drawer again" :jocolor::jocolor::jocolor:

yep. Get a the bolt you need should be the same length as the bumper bolt. Those eliminate the smooth bumper bolt that can be seen in the photo of your demons front bumper

You might not want to put away the drill quite yet...

I'm not sure about 72's, but the mounting you described is not how bumper guards were placed on 71 Demons.

If you look at an original 71 Dodge catalog you'll see a clear picture of a Demon and the guards do not use the inner bumper bolt locations for mounting.

I know some people say don't trust the brochures because changes are made after the brochures are printed - but, in the April 71 Road Test magazine on page 24 there is a close-up picture of the front end of the 71 they are testing. And again, it shows the guards are located outside of the inner bumper bolts (the guards used their own holes).

Again, I know you are talking about 72s and they may be different than 71s. But, then again, you might want to check into it a little further...

You might not want to put away the drill quite yet... I'm not sure about 72's, but the mounting you described is not how bumper guards were placed on 71 Demons. If you look at an original 71 Dodge catalog you'll see a clear picture of a Demon and the guards do not use the inner bumper bolt locations for mounting. I know some people say don't trust the brochures because changes are made after the brochures are printed - but, in the April 71 Road Test magazine on page 24 there is a close-up picture of the front end of the 71 they are testing. And again, it shows the guards are located outside of the inner bumper bolts (the guards used their own holes). Again, I know you are talking about 72s and they may be different than 71s. But, then again, you might want to check into it a little further...
oh that bites....looked like they bolted on the same way the truck bumper guards do. I'm sorry rani. I guess it would still work if your not going true resto in order to sleep the bumper smoother.

GY3 71 Demon- what reinforces the demon guards if the don't use the frame horns like the bumper does?

Looks to me that , any cars that had gotten bumperettes this is where the placement was , but if it was me i would try them in where the bumper bolt is may work perfect , just off a few inches .Take a look.

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 128
And possibly these bumpers changed to jack slots at mid 72 .But not certain .A long time demon dude will chime in and let you know for sure.

Hers another pic where someone had taken them off.And if you go to AMD , they oinly list for 71 Demon , does not mention 1972 ?????

Attachments

• demon.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 119
And i see now that your bolt hole is up higher so , looks like a driller , i would drill a pilot first and wok your way up to half i think , drills like crap if you start large in size.

And if you go to AMD , they oinly list for 71 Demon , does not mention 1972 ?????

I think I figured out why.....today I went to look at a 71 swinger and I went to a friend's house who has a 72 and to my surprise I found today that the bumper guards are different from 70/1 and 72 and they mount in different locations.

the 72 bumper guard is bigger, fatter on the bottom section and taller. and they mount to line up with inner edge of the turn signal where as 71 lines up dead center to the turn signal lens.

so it appears 72 can use the existing bumper bolt hole but in 70/1 the bumper guard mount asymmetrically between the two smooth bolts.

so this means a 70/1 had two different bumpers one for guards and one without and needs to drilled to add them to one that did not have previously and a 72 is either or. this makes sense in 72 since that year they started their standardization movement to make less parts (look at the side marker lights as an example)

I am starting to think that 72 bumper guards are one year only because they are also dramatically different from 73+

Attachments

• 20131111_155412.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20131111_155306.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20131111_155140.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20131111_155107.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 103
  • i17231.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20131111_155018.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20131111_155421.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 101
I think I figured out why.....today I went to look at a 71 swinger and I went to a friend's house who has a 72 and to my surprise I found today that the bumper guards are different from 70/1 and 72 and they mount in different locations. the 72 bumper guard is bigger, fatter on the bottom section and taller. and they mount to line up with inner edge of the turn signal where as 71 lines up dead center to the turn signal lens. so it appears 72 can use the existing bumper bolt hole but in 70/1 the bumper guard mount asymmetrically between the two smooth bolts. so this means a 70/1 had two different bumpers one for guards and one without and needs to drilled to add them to one that did not have previously and a 72 is either or. this makes sense in 72 since that year they started their standardization movement to make less parts (look at the side marker lights as an example) I am starting to think that 72 bumper guards are one year only because they are also dramatically different from 73+
so I was right AND wrong! Lol that a first. I'm usually just wrong according to the mrs. Roflmao. Did you ask him if he wanted to trade bumper guards

so I was right AND wrong! Lol that a first. I'm usually just wrong according to the mrs. Roflmao. Did you ask him if he wanted to trade bumper guards

trade which ones for which ones??...the bumpers on the ground are his but that is also the 72 guards

aret the 72 guards the ones you need?

no, in the OP those are correct 72 bumper guards that I originally had for the demon ....when I bought them I "accidently" ended up with the right ones because when I got them i didn't know there was a difference

no, in the OP those are correct 72 bumper guards that I originally had for the demon ....when I bought them I "accidently" ended up with the right ones because when I got them i didn't know there was a difference
OH! Lol I'm just making sure your paying attention! Lol

-
Back