Bumper guard removal on a 73 Scamp?

-

TheWhiteBuffalo

Very Confused
Reaction score
Hello all,

I used the search button but only found one thread referencing the proper way to remove the hideous bumper guards off of my 73 Scamp.

I busted a few knuckles trying to get them off, but to no avail. First, I sprayed them down with some PB Blaster and let them sit. I grabbed my socket wrench and tugged on them for a while. I believe the bolt size is different between the front and rear bumpers.

Anyways, using the socket wrench, the bolts just spin. I can't see anywhere to get the rubber pieces off so that I can grip the other side with a wrench.

Am I missing something? I don't have any type of grinder to cut the bolts, so I'm hoping that I am just missing something. It's darn tough to get in there and do anything. Thanks for any help!

Unfortunately most times since they have been there so long and have rusted in place you will probably need to cut them off.

Maybe pull the bumpers off and take them to someone that can cut them off. BUT if you can find a cutter for a reasonable price, maybe it's time to start building a tool collection.

Are there any second had places around you? Sometimes you can get a used tool pretty reasonable, just make sure it works before you leave.

Thanks Bad Sport.

Any recommendation on what type of grinder to purchase? I have a Harbor Freight right down the road from me, so I can pick one up pretty cheap. I'm guessing bumper removal is the only way, because there is just no room to work when they are on.

I definitely need to step up on acquiring some new tools. It looks like next weekends project is all lined up.

You can pick up something there pretty cheap. Just remember they are cheap. But for the money if it lasts a year or two.

I would look at something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-95578.html

And see if it will accept these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-10-4-1-2-half-inch-cut-off-wheels-for-metal-45430.html

If you use those thin cut off wheels, they do work well. Just use caution and wear personal protective equipment. Gloves, safety glasses etc. Sometimes those wheels can sling a little piece off. I use something similar for cutting, it's a Matabo unit that I have had for over ten years and it still works great and I have cut a ton of metal with it.

Just make sure when you buy that the arbor and the inside diameter of the disk matches. It looks like the one I posted will work.

Oh, and when cutting with those thin wheels make sure not to bind them, that's when you can run into problems. Just take your time and cut away, those should make fairly short work of the studs.

Make sure you are on the correct nut as well. Lower nut is just a filler bolt, it is the top nut you want and the stud is welded to the bumper guard, shouldn't spin, at worst the bolt will break and the guard will come off.

x2 used the HF grinder to do my whole car's metal work over the last year. They are solid. So are their flux cored welders.

-
Back