Bumper swap (73 to 70-72)

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster with the big clunky front bumper. I want to swap on an earlier style A-body bumper. Can I just switch bumpers or do I also need the bumper brackets too? For example, swaping a 70 Duster front bumper onto my 73 Duster.

Also, what year/model A body bumpers will interchange with my 73 Duster?

I know for sure you're going to need the earlier bumper brackets. The pre '73 front bumpers did not mount to the shock absorber that the '73 and post A bodies have.

The fenders are also different on '73+ so it could look odd with a smaller bumper on fenders shaped for the larger bumpers.

I just went out to the shop and compared my 73 to my girlfriends 72 scamp (same front end as a duster). In order to swap the 73 bumper for the 72 or older you will also have to swap the filler panel behind the bumper, the grill, and hood. You should be able to keep the 73 fenders.
The 73-76 all come to an ugly point on the front and the 72 and older are more flat, that is what you are going to be dealing with.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought it was an easier swap than that. I guess I'll just stick with the stock bumper and remove the bumperettes.

you can get fiberglass ones. look in mopar muskle mag. you can fing all kinds of cool stuff. the fiberglass ones look a little better i think, and they weigh like 20 lbs less. :toothy7: :blob:

-
Back