Bumper Swap

-

dartguy2360

Reaction score
I have a 1976 Dart Sport and I have heard that I could put 1973 bumpers on it and do away with the bumper fillers. Has anybody done this swap? Will the 73 bumpers bolt right on with no modification to the brackets? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I did it on my '74 Duster. Should be pretty much the same thing on a Dart Sport. It's not a bolt on swap. You can use the '73 and earlier brackets, but one of the mounting holes needs to be pretty much right in the middle of the large hole in the tail panel where the old shock mount bracket went. You either need to make a bracket, or weld a filler into the hole. I made a bracket, although if I did it again I would just weld in a patch. The early brackets don't need to be modified.

Here's the process from my build thread...

Ok, here we go again. As I'm sure you've noticed by now, my Duster is a '74. I was never really a fan of the '74 bumpers, and I'd heard that they're pretty heavy. So, I picked up a 71/72 bumper to lighten things up and improve the cosmetics. So here we go with a '74 rear bumper swap.

This is my starting point. Your basic 1974 Duster bumper. Big, ugly, and with the old plastic filler that's seen better days.

IMG_5222_zps27c2398d.jpg

IMG_5226_zps33efebe1.jpg

So out come the tools, and off goes the bumper. I'd heard these things were heavy. Let me tell you, they're REALLY HEAVY. Like, difficult to move by yourself heavy. Anyway, so here we are without the bumper.

IMG_5227_zps7702bd3e.jpg

See the arrow in the picture above? Well, thanks to Ma mopar not changing the tooling for the rear frame stubs, there's a hole behind that panel...

IMG_5231_zpsa80af90a.jpg

That hole is actually one of the locations for the bumper brackets on the 71/72 cars. Drill that out, and bolt up the bumper. This is where I get an "F" for my "how to", as I didn't take any pictures of the 71/72 bumper at this stage. Needless to say, I used a 71/72 style bumper with the matching brackets. I didn't use the far outer "C" brackets, as there's no bracing behind the panel there like on the 71/72 cars.

Now, the problem comes in that the old shock mount brackets go through the spot where the other hole in the 71/72 bracket is located, it goes pretty much right in the middle of that big hole the shock goes through. But, the shocks bolt to the frame about 8" back, and rather than weld a fill plate into the hole, I just made a new set of bumper brackets to bolt to the old mounting holes. I just used some 1/8" angle I had laying around.

IMG_5235_zps124ab82c.jpg

And used that to back up the bracket on the 71/72 bumper.

IMG_5237_zps5212332c.jpg

No, that's not as beefy as the shock mount was. But, I suspect its fairly close to on-par with the original 71/72 mount. I could have just welded a piece of 90* angle to the frame, or just welded a patch into the lower panel, but I felt the bracket was a decent way to go. While it really isn't an issue on my car, it would be reversible as well should someone ever want to put a '74 bumper back on.

And here's the finished product! Nice, neat, tucked in bumper. And a weight savings that probably approaches 3 figures. No, seriously, not kidding. Removing the original bumper and replacing it with the earlier version actually raised my suspension in the back by almost a 1/2". The springs, which sat almost exactly at zero arch before, now have a slight arch to them.

IMG_5238_zps8c2c1f04.jpg

I still have a little work to do. Notice the exhaust pipes? They were pretty much flush with the old bumper, which tells you how far that '74 bumper really sticks out! And, there's still the matter of a slight gap at the quarter. The '74 and up cars had a larger section cut out of the quarter for the bumper and that rubber filler, so a larger gap than normal is left between the bumper and quarter here.

IMG_5239_zps989e8713.jpg

It's just big enough for it to look "wrong", especially since the bumper fits so well everywhere else. In my case, I'm not worrying about it for now because I plan on putting a Demon tail panel on my car, and when I do I'll weld in a filler strip to take care of the gap between the quarter and new tail panel. Otherwise, a piece of weatherstripping or similar could be used to fill the gap.

So, that's it for the moment. I have my last few big ticket items on order, trying to have this thing sorted out soon so it can make some appearances at the shows and track this season.

Wow!!! That is exactly what I needed, thank you for posting this for me. You just saved me hours of trial and error. Has anybody ever put a 73 bumper on the front of a 74 or up?

Wow!!! That is exactly what I needed, thank you for posting this for me. You just saved me hours of trial and error. Has anybody ever put a 73 bumper on the front of a 74 or up?

Be careful with your year breaks on the front bumpers. Most of the '74 cars actually do not have shock mounted front bumpers, mine didn't. There was some kind of issue with the shock mount front bumpers, I forget exactly what the problem was. But the factory only put shock mounted bumpers on the '74 model year cars up to about November of 1973. After that they switched back to standard brackets for the rest of the '74 production year, and the shock mounted front bumpers didn't come back again until '75.

Why bore you with all that? Because it gets even more complicated. The body style changed in '73, so, big bulky bumper, but standard brackets- no shock mounts. In '74 they started with shock mounts, but then switched back to standard brackets. BUT, the shock mount bumpers have a different bumper mount configuration, and rather than switch back to the earlier style bumper Ma Mopar changed the brackets. So, the '74 non-shock mount brackets are not the same as '73 brackets. So a '73 bumper will not fit '74 non-shock mount brackets. '73 and '74 are both 1 year only deals for the standard non-shock mount bumper bracket, and must be matched to their respective one year only bumper. Looks almost the same from the outside, but they mount to the brackets differently.

Here's another thread on the '73 vs '74 bumpers...http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329887

So, now the problems with switching the front bumper.

1- '73 up Dart's have a "beak". The front bumper is peaked to go around it. Pre-'73 bumpers are straight, so they won't clear the bodywork.

2- '73 up Dart's don't have front valances. The bumper is much taller, so no front valance was used. 'pre '73 Dart's used a front valance. Pretty much means you're stuck with a '73 or '74 non-shock mount bumper, and they're still really big. Or doing a lot of bodywork. Or swapping the entire front clip to the earlier style.

3- The frame mounts are different. Shock mounted brackets use a single bolt to mount to the frame, and it's further back. The standard brackets use two bolts, and they're not as long. So, none of the bumper bracket bolts are in the same location on the frame. Which is a bit of an issue, because they use captured nuts that are welded inside the frame. So, to install a standard bracket on a shock mount car you'll need to figure out how to get behind the bracket bolts.

So, the frame rails actually look different, and there's 3 types. 67-73 has the standard 2 captured nuts for the non-shock brackets. Early '74, and then '75+, has the single captured nut for the shock mount bumpers. And then the wildcard- mid '74 to late '74 has all 3 mounting locations. My Duster is in this category, it has captured nuts in the frame for both the standard and shock mount brackets.

attachment.php

Here's the differences from the outside...

'76 with the shock mounts and filler pieces
Spirit-of-76-Dodge-Dart-Sport--1000x750.jpg

'73, no filler pieces and no shock mounts

125811_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

'72 and earlier- small, straight bumper, different fenders, front valance.

photo_292_1971_dodge_demon_340_4_22842_original.jpg

I collapsed the front shock mounts, got rid of the bumper filler, and was able to move my bumper back about 3 inches on my 76 swinger. it made a big difference

Just in case no one mentioned it already, you will also have the holes from the attaching points of the filler sections in the front, but you can slot the bumper to frame brackets and move the bumper back some to cover those for the most part.
I think it makes the lines cleaner anyway without the big gap between the bumper and the fenders on the sides. :D

How do you collapse the shocks?

I don't recommend it, but I was able to change the mounting depth on my old '74 by applying a liberal amount of BFH until the bracket was in the position I needed it to be in.

How do you collapse the shocks?

I drilled a hole so the oil will come out when using a press to collapse the shock. I then spot welded it solid so it won't move. somebody posted that they don't recommend it. why? its just bolted solid like everything before 1974??

-
Back