Buncha big block questions?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys, even the ladies if they know,

The guy that has that 440 police interceptor I made a post about has a BUNCH and I do mean a bunch of Mopar engine parts, and from the sounds of it he can't remember what is what! Had talking with members on here in the open forums, for all to read, I would have not "caught on" Let me explain.....

I was there helping him move things around to get the 440 out. (Remember he just got this motor 6 months ago) AND to that it got "packed in" shall we say in the far back corner of his shop kinda like a caged in stock room if you will.....

Upon getting involved in moving things to get to it I noticed a lot of ****.....Granted, I'm no wizard, but I know enough to get myself in trouble shall we say! One of the first things I noticed moving single small items is the Pentastar emblem..... Can ya say "MOPAP" loud and proud! Anyway, he says its collected from him, his Dad and his one Brother over a span of what sounds like MANY years (no actual number was said). SO my ears grew pointy....

Well an intake I had hauled up off a pallet was a 6 pack intake.. had the Pentastar on it, and I simply asked "what was this too?" and he looked at me and said he remembers his Brother or his Dad taking it off a pretty much brand new Dodge 383....One of our members here, "RRR" Rob, mentioned one time, that Ma Mopar NEVER sold a 383 with a 6 pack or 6 barrel on it. BUT that just means that this wasn't on a 383 when HE or THEY got it. it was from a 440.....It is however a factory OEM part! Granted, this isn't the only goodie I've seen! I bet he also has 2 or 3 cross-rams too the hi RPM models....NOT the elephant truck looking ones found on the 413.

Because this turned on a red light in my head thast this guy really doesn't know Mopar or is just trying to play coy with me, (Remember hes my elder by a long shot, I bet hes old enough to damn near my grand fathers age.....) Anyway, Its VERY apparent that he loves the Bowtie emblem too.....SO the Mopar knowledge may not be there or something, I'm sure going to see if I can "fish" my way through and see what might be there for honest prices.....NOT because this guy thinks he has something thats worth a small fortune to him.

So, here I am, kind of debated doing this, BUT, does anyone have knowledge, or a place I can find a list, written on what Mopar offered for intakes for EACH engine they built? EVEN the rare ones?Is there some kind of organization or web related .org that may have a list as such? I'd even go as far as factory OEM heads too.....AND if nothing else, a parts number or casting number identification?

I ask this as there seems to be certain guys at times I've run into, that seems to be able to take a casting number from a OEM part and tell you what that part went too and what year is was made/used. I'm just looking for some sort of way to identify the parts this guy might have, for one, and if its something of interest and I can get it for dirt cheap and pass that to you guys, well, its worth it to me, the owner is making something, I'm helping him, in a way helping you, and then saving you some cash in the long term as I am not going to make nothing off this UN LESS the owner offs me something for selling, and even then I may take that offer in trade on items I have an interest in for my own restore to the truck!

So, is there anyone that might be able to point me in the right direction, OR know someone that can lead me the way to find things out?

While you COULD get a 383 six pack over the counter....and still can, it was not a factory piece IF it was a 383. In fact, I don't think there were any six packs even dealer installed, as the 383 six pack intake was not available until much later on. At least that's what I have been able to surmise. BUT, above ALL I keep the "never say never" attitude, because although officially there never was a factory offering, strange things pop up everyday. I remember reading an article years ago in one of the hot rod mags about a factory single four barrel 426 Hemi car. I forget which car it was, but it was GAYlen certified and all, I do remember that.

Guys just so you all know, I'm not attempting to "sell" anything for him, as I'm not sure if he even wants to sell any of the parts, (I'm merely trying the waters to see if he will or trade parts for helping him.....)

So right now, I can't get pictures, I'm merely trying to "catch" things as I go to see what is all there or have a glance at and as I think I said, I'm helping him to get to the actual 440/727 combo.....This is allowing me to see whats there, as it isn't as much as I thought, but, he has some good stuff so far

(2 of the cross rams I seen, aren't even Mopar! They're both for Chevy 283's from the 50's......) Yeah, I got to get a closer look at them!

BUT there are some that.....I noticed aren't worth the space they take up, bolt "ears" snapped off and **** so.....(I'm being VERY careful with all that I handle), just seeing this, someone was hard on things and for all I know, they were "tossed" right where they sit, NOT "sat" where they sit.....

While you COULD get a 383 six pack over the counter....and still can, it was not a factory piece IF it was a 383. In fact, I don't think there were any six packs even dealer installed, as the 383 six pack intake was not available until much later on. At least that's what I have been able to surmise. BUT, above ALL I keep the "never say never" attitude, because although officially there never was a factory offering, strange things pop up everyday. I remember reading an article years ago in one of the hot rod mags about a factory single four barrel 426 Hemi car. I forget which car it was, but it was GAYlen certified and all, I do remember that.

Rob, this is all good information..... I just wished I could find a list of EACH motor, and what was offered for carbs. and such "PER" engine so for instance, a 440, you could get it as a 440-4, 440-6, 440-8, 440-2x4, 440-2x3, etc....ALL labeled for the year they were offered to that carb. set up.....FACTORY offerings tho!

I question the 383 6 pack tho, you don't see many of them at all even having the aftermarket offering of that intake!

-
Back