Burnt up my trailer brakes! Time for a rebuild...

-

Weak440

Thread Killer
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I packed up my two atvs and headed for the U.P. (northern northern northern Michigan). I went over my truck and trailer with a fine tooth comb... Twice before I left. I didn't see anything that sent up any red flags but, who knows what will happen when you are traveling so far. (St.Louis, Mo to Marquette, Mi.

We got about half way and I get a trailer fault alarm on my dash. I figured the rough roads of Illinois beat a ground loose. No problem. I pulled over reset the alarm and checked the trailer over. I touched all 4 hubs and they were cool to the touch. Even though we had been booking at 70mph for hours.

About 2 more hours and it happened again. Hmmm... Darn ground wire!

We were 3/4s of the way through the trip when I turned around in a parking lot and heard the very distinct sound of a brake dragging. Uh oh... I knew I didn't have any spare parts with me and figured I would be better off not tearing in to it if I didn't have to. I turned the brakes down a little and just took it easy. We made it home with no issues and had an absolutely great time.

When I found the time I picked my trailer up and pulled the wheels off the axle with the brakes and found this...

[ame="https://youtu.be/dBC5A1Qy4kk"]https://youtu.be/dBC5A1Qy4kk[/ame]

I am not sure what exactly happened to it but, when I pulled the drum off parts fell to the ground the rear shoe fell to the position in the picture.

Since the wiring could use a much needed upgrade and I am planning on taking more trips like this with this trailer I decided it was time for an upgrade.

I stripped the wiring harness out from underneath the trailer and am in the process of rewiring it from front to back. I am also going to add brakes to both axles.

Anyone interested in seeing the progress of my new project?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1439614615415.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 115
  • FB_IMG_1439614642856.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20150802_174032030.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20150813_194536627.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 133
I've pulled big gooseneck horse trailers for decades. electric trailer brakes have always been a hit or miss. they would probably have to be reconditioned monthly to keep working!!!?
the car trailer, bough the last one new maybe 20 years ago, puled it how many 1000 miles??? disconnected the wire to the brakes when I bought it!!!! H
the 3500 Ram will stop it IF it gets stopped!!!

Both axles are required to have brakes. Make sure your trailer is up to DOT standards and you are loading and towing it according to the truck manufactures recommendation.
You have a lot of legal liability if you don't follow the rules.

Both axles are required to have brakes. Make sure your trailer is up to DOT standards and you are loading and towing it according to the truck manufactures recommendation.
You have a lot of legal liability if you don't follow the rules.

Yupper, the DOT can be a pain in the arse.

my trailer is so old it only came with brakes on ONE axle. 18 ft 108 wide car trailer.

20 years old, its still NEW, never been titled, still have the cert of orginal from Manu.! Ha

never been tagged! never stopped but one time in ARkansas of all places. I fibbed, and told them Mo and Ok didn't require trailer tags! lady bear let me go.

my trailer is so old it only came with brakes on ONE axle. 18 ft 108 wide car trailer.

20 years old, its still NEW, never been titled, still have the cert of orginal from Manu.! Ha

never been tagged! never stopped but one time in ARkansas of all places. I fibbed, and told them Mo and Ok didn't require trailer tags! lady bear let me go.

Hahaha That is great!

My trailer is the same way, it is from 1990 and didn't come with a break-away switch, any conspicuity tape, or side marking lights. It only had brakes on the front axle as well. Welp... not any more.

I need to rebuild mine on my car hauler as well.

Weak 440, you drove right on by and didn't stop and say howdy? lmao

Electric trailer brakes....talk about sensative SOB's.....no breakaway box on my trailer, no tape neither. This reminds me I need to get under and fix the wiring, had a blow out that mangled the fender some and tore up some of the wires. I went from Phoenix to Spokane and back 5 times with no plate on the trailer. Even went thru Reardon and was spotted by the "Marshall" there...he writes folks up for everything. Been wanting to mount a breakaway box on it...someday

Just added 2nd set of brakes on the front axle and new chains. The breakaway switch is good but tires are a PITA. Just bought two for the rear axle and the fronts are nearly new but were made in 2001. I just don't use it enough to justify the cost in tires. I'd save money by just renting one when I need it. My wife's really bugging to sell it.

Attachments

• Dad's Pictures 001 (800x600).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Dad's Pictures 002 (800x600).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 106
  • Dad's Pictures 003 (800x600).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 98
-
Back