Bushing or Bearing?

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install my 340 into my Dart and I'm wondering if I should use the stock pilot bushing or use a roller bearing. The 318 that's in the car now didn't have the crank drilled for a bushing so I just used a roller bearing instead but the 340 that's going in had a 4 speed on it so it's already got the crank drilled and there's still a bushing in it. Should I just replace the stock bushing and go that route for $3 or is buying another roller bearing the better way to go?

What would you guys do?

Does the roller bearing run on its own race? Does it even fit a bushing machined crank? Sounds like the winner to me. Bushing was cheap, save a buck on every car x 50,000 mentality.

This is what I have in the car now

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PB5300

Ive only put about 1,500 miles on it but I've heard that they can eat up the input shaft. Is this true? It fit the 318 crank so I don't see why one wouldn't fit the 340 crank. The bushing was simple but it seemed to work good from the factory, my a230 went 250k miles behind my slant six and it had a bushing. When I get this engine in the car I plan to put a lot of miles on it so I want something that's not going to give me any trouble. When I push in my clutch something starts to squeak and It drives me nuts, I don't know if it's the throwout bearing or the bearing in the crank but it makes me paranoid and I want to fix it. If it's the bearing in the crank that's squeakin then that makes me want to lean towards a bushing. Would the bearing be more reliable than the bushing? Or would it be more prone to breaking since there are more parts to it?

Is the input shaft on your 4-speed stock length?
If so I would just run the bushing, no moving parts to go bad.

-
Back