Buttons/no heat

-

Jake lagrange

Reaction score
So I got the ac working in my 69 Dart custom but I was driving it around one morning and realized the heater just refuses to warm up. Also the control buttons are these stiff sticky abominations I'd like to fix up. Amy advice on where to start or how to pull
Out the control assembly or options for it is greatly appreciated

I'd like to help you, but I've never even seen a 69 Dart with A/C
I suspect tho that the heater portion is the same as a non-A/C car. And those have issues with the cable getting stiff. My solution is to spray the sheaths with an aerosol oil. The oil will migrate inside and lube the working part. Just come back the next day and wipe off the access oil. While you are standing on your head under there, make sure none of the cables are kinked or working on really tight turns. I find it easiest to remove the passenger seat.
There may be other solutions but, then you are looking at hours, and hours, of work.
> It's also possible for debris to have found it's way into the heater box. This is actually pretty common. The debris can hinder the closing of the directional doors inside there. The only solution for that is a tear-down and clean-out.

There should be a vacuum operated water valve under the hood that allows hot water into the heater core. Feel the hoses and see if there is hot water flowing to the heater core. If hot water isn't flowing to the heater core, then your problem is with that water valve. It's vacuum operated and could be the diaphragm is bad, or it's not getting vacuum. Check to see if there is vacuum, or apply vacuum from a different source and see if the valve moves.

If it's not getting vacuum you have to look at the heater control in the dash. It gets vacuum from the engine and switches it to the appropriate diaphragms depending on what you are asking for. The common problem is that the plastic gets brittle and the little fittings break off the back. I was able to buy one for a 69 Newport at autozone and it fit my 65 Dart. But that was 4 or 5 years ago.

If hot water is getting to the heater core then there could be a problem with one of the flapper valves inside the heater that control air movement. Again could be the diaphragm, or could be the heater control. Look for air coming out the wrong place when you are asking for heat, like from the defrosters, or the AC vents. These things are all controlled by vacuum operated doors in the heater. Also look for two much cold air getting drawn in from the cowl and diluting the hot air from the heater. I believe the blend is controlled by a cable.

Any advice on how to get it out? I don't see any bolts on the forward end of the assembly to pull it. Do I need to remove the vinyl dash portion? Pull
The gauge cluster out? Dig around on the bottom

You can find pics of about everything humans know about and have ever taken a picture of online.

Any advice on how to get it out? I don't see any bolts on the forward end of the assembly to pull it. Do I need to remove the vinyl dash portion? Pull
The gauge cluster out? Dig around on the bottom
You can down load a service manual for the 69 Dart on line.

So I take it the 69 is the same as a 73.Well I did have a 73 A/C Swinger. So then I still can't help you cuz mine was working perfectly right up until the day I parted it out,lol.
I thought those older As all had underdash dealer-installed units. Still learning.

Hey man that switch you showed me did the trick fixed everything actually, heater defroster blow hot and where they are supposed and my buttons don't feel like constipated **** any more. Really appreciate it.

-
Back