Buy a car without physically seeing it

-
Like anything else it is a 50/50 chance. Best is you can look the cars over and decide if you want to bid or not.
Many times the sellers bring ringers to drive the price up. I must say I have seen cars sold very reasonable.
Last is you have to pay a buyer's fee of 10% of the winning bid.

I remember that ! You got them from Craig. I don't remember why we didn't get a chance to meet up.
I've been looking at their past auctions and it's crazy how much some of these cars sold for like this 65 fury. The paint looks like it could be plastidip, the interior looks amazing. The car sold for $10.5k and now it's for sale at a dealer in ohio for $25k. What a racket! 1965 Plymouth Fury

I'm curious how many people have bought cars from across the country without seeing the car in person. There's a 66 barracuda in NV that i'd love to look at and possibly buy, but i can't just jump on a plane without planning a vacation around it. I don't even get 2 days off in a row in my job. It's at a dealer and they are very good at sending me videos and pictures, but i'm still hesitant without being able to look at the car up close. Just worried about buying a car with hidden rust everywhere. This place does restorations and has good reviews. Anyone near vegas with hands on experience with these cars want to go look at it for me, lol! 1966 Plymouth Barracuda | Atomic Motors Classic Cars & Motorcycles
I'm curious how many people have bought cars from across the country without seeing the car in person. There's a 66 barracuda in NV that i'd love to look at and possibly buy, but i can't just jump on a plane without planning a vacation around it. I don't even get 2 days off in a row in my job. It's at a dealer and they are very good at sending me videos and pictures, but i'm still hesitant without being able to look at the car up close. Just worried about buying a car with hidden rust everywhere. This place does restorations and has good reviews. Anyone near vegas with hands on experience with these cars want to go look at it for me, lol! 1966 Plymouth Barracuda | Atomic Motors Classic Cars & Motorcycles
Hi Moosestang,

Ok, I could write a book on this subject. But You've got someone on the group to look at it. I would also call the local chamber of commerce and find out the oldest car repair shops in the area. Pay them to look at the car and eval what is needed to make it perfect. Then if you're still goign after it, do the same with a paint shop. That will give you a good idea of the car. Then as far as buying it, you can use an Escrow company for the car. But that requires a transport person you can trust. So many things to check out... What type of pics do they have of the car? Any before paint/repair pics?

Thomas in N. Calif

Hi Moosestang,

Ok, I could write a book on this subject. But You've got someone on the group to look at it. I would also call the local chamber of commerce and find out the oldest car repair shops in the area. Pay them to look at the car and eval what is needed to make it perfect. Then if you're still goign after it, do the same with a paint shop. That will give you a good idea of the car. Then as far as buying it, you can use an Escrow company for the car. But that requires a transport person you can trust. So many things to check out... What type of pics do they have of the car? Any before paint/repair pics?

Thomas in N. Calif
If you need all these services then a classic car is not for you and will bring on nothing but grief and anxiety. Go to your local new car dealer and pick one off the lot

If you need all these services then a classic car is not for you and will bring on nothing but grief and anxiety. Go to your local new car dealer and pick one off the lot
I've had enough wrenching on that old duster...
I got something I can enjoy without as much fiddling...

I found that 68 with the 6.1L hemi. They want $99,500 for it. yeah, it's not going to sell. https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1968/plymouth/barracuda/101956294 It's nicely done, but i just don't see anyone bidding over 50 at auction. I bet their reserve is in the 60's at least.
i figured it was well over 60, and honestly they probably have damn near that into it.

if you sit down and think about it, how many hours of labor are into a car like that? 200? 300? that's easily 20~30K right there. then what, another 20K on paint and body. tally up the rest and you're nearly to triple digits.

I've been looking at their past auctions and it's crazy how much some of these cars sold for like this 65 fury. The paint looks like it could be plastidip, the interior looks amazing. The car sold for $10.5k and now it's for sale at a dealer in ohio for $25k. What a racket! 1965 Plymouth Fury
that fury was a good deal at 10.5!

lots to like: big block, 4spd, ps/pb, discs front and back, 8.75, interior that's not all "resto-mod" with bucket seats or some stupid flat aluminum panel and autometers stabbed in.

no me gusta: the slapper bars and bobo fuel line & pump. but that's easily corrected. and that steering wheel would have to go.

Its only a racket if your stoopid enough to pay 25k
unless you build it yourself you are most likely upside down
what someone foolishly spends to buy a car comes back to haunt them when they cant sell it

i figured it was well over 60, and honestly they probably have damn near that into it.

if you sit down and think about it, how many hours of labor are into a car like that? 200? 300? that's easily 20~30K right there. then what, another 20K on paint and body. tally up the rest and you're nearly to triple digits.
I'm sure they do, but putting that much into one of these they should know they'll never get it out. I have near $30k into my 06 mustang gt, but it's a $15k car all day, which is why i'll die with it. If you want to restomod a barracuda to sell then a 1970 would probably be an easier sell. I like the gen 1 and gen 2, but gen 3 is more popular.

Last edited:
This one was a pending sale, but i guess it fell through. looks pretty straight. doors line up nice. the exhaust looks half-assed, but that's an easy fix. There's some corrosion under the rear quarter panels, but other than that i don't see anything. Those headers are crazy! good god man what do you do if you have a leak? I'd take a sawzall to those and got back to stock manifolds. it's been for sale for 10 months. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1966-plymouth-barracuda-stratford-wi-2674044 This one caught my eye, but they want a lot for a car that is clearly leaking transmission fluid, lol! For Sale: 1967 Plymouth Barracuda in Anderson , Ca

-
Back