Buy new bumpers or re chrome the old?

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have a 70 swinger im restoring but not worried about everything being 100percent origional. I just called the local chrome shop and they wanted $300 for the rear and $330 to rechrome the front. I have seen new reproduction bumpers for around $300 or a little less, what's the best route. Is it worth re chroming the origionals/??

I have a 70 swinger im restoring but not worried about everything being 100percent origional. I just called the local chrome shop and they wanted $300 for the rear and $330 to rechrome the front. I have seen new reproduction bumpers for around $300 or a little less, what's the best route. Is it worth re chroming the origionals/??

Tiwian/China reproductions or OEM Mopar originals rechromed. If you have a good chrome shop stay with the OEM Mopar bumpers. If you don't then find a better chrome shop.

There are some crappy chrome shops around so if you aren't knowledgable with the one you called, run the name up the flag pole to see if anyone can give you some information.

If the bumpers are only faded and not bent. I'd get them rechromed. Check out some companies reviews from FABO. I've heard the aftermarket one are not the best. Plus the money stays in the US and keeps somebody employed. Just saying.

I bought new ones for my Barracuda from Year One a couple of years ago and they're fine so far. The old ones were bent and needing re-chroming and the cost was about the same so I went with new ones. I have also re-chromed in the past and it only lasted a few years so IMO just go with new ones.

Thanks for the replys i would rather keep the cash here in america and it would be nice to have my stock bumpers back.

I did a little research and seems the chrome shop i called out of Toledo has some bad reviews with the BBBand people on their own facebook page. I would think the guy would delete someone's negative comments. I called Bumper Boyz since they will be in Detroit next weekend, they wanted $360 each, but also have tons of negative reviews online. Hard to find anything positive about Bumper Boyz.

Called another local plating company and he wanted $700 a bumper, there is no way im puting over $1500 in bumpers on a 10k-13k car.

I will keep researching my options but may end up with some repops.

Thanks for the replys i would rather keep the cash here in america and it would be nice to have my stock bumpers back.

I did a little research and seems the chrome shop i called out of Toledo has some bad reviews with the BBBand people on their own facebook page. I would think the guy would delete someone's negative comments. I called Bumper Boyz since they will be in Detroit next weekend, they wanted $360 each, but also have tons of negative reviews online. Hard to find anything positive about Bumper Boyz.

Called another local plating company and he wanted $700 a bumper, there is no way im puting over $1500 in bumpers on a 10k-13k car.

I will keep researching my options but may end up with some repops.

I haven't heard much good about Bumper Boyz. Have you ever used import sheet metal? I have heard some bad issues with many of the import bumpers such as the chrome flaking off within 6 months to a year. The 67 to 69 Barracuda bumpers all had extra holes for bumper guards. I haven't used them myself but I have seen some work done by Superior Chrome Plating out of Texas. They did everything possible on a 1967 Barracuda and all of the chrome was sweet. I have no idea of how they are cost wise and you should research them also because I have only seen the one job. Here is their website. http://www.justchromeit.com/

China made bumpers.....no way, not on my car!!! The chrome is probably junk and the metal is probably thinner or weaker too, I would replate your originals, there are places that do great work, might have to shop them out. There is a place here in MN that does a great job, Keystone Automotive, seen tons of great work from there. Infact, dad has his done in 1987 on his 66 Cuda and they still look perfect today!!!!

Support the USA, say no to China made repop garbage!!!

Mine are straight, probably just going to get them powder coated....

Give these folks a call:
http://tricityplating.com

Their work is top notch. I sent a bumper to them several years ago and it was better than new when returned.
C

AMD bumpers are decent quality, fit well and reasonably priced. rechrome here in Canada is at least 3xs the price.

Give these folks a call:
http://tricityplating.com

Their work is top notch. I sent a bumper to them several years ago and it was better than new when returned.
C
X2, They do good work and turn around is fast. They did the bumpers on my 68 valiant and the 70 swinger. They called me and one of the valiant bumpers was not usable do to rust, and told me i just needed to send them another bumper. Great! i thought i was screwed! now what do i do? where am i gonna find another bumper worth a crap? Oh, we have a core for 25 bucks if you want to use it? uh!ya!

-
Back