Buyer Beware - Rick Ehrenberg

-
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks it's important to specify they are driving a V-code Roadrunner before making a retort just comes off as a huge douchebag to me. The OP is a dumbass too. Carry on...

Well I reckon it's time to lock this gem up like my old RD350

Do you ever look at your sentences after writing them? You make so many mistakes, it makes it hard to take you seriously. A small mistake is not unusual but it looks like ENGLISH is not one of your strong points.
Corndog , so you disagreed with my post, but look... that's some deep pitting for 4 months, if it was 4 months 'like so-and-so says', so... I'm not buying for months... I'm thinking 8 years or more.

If he said he would guarantee it...then the ball is in his court.

If he said he would guarantee it...then the ball is in his court.

Your response was polite so I'll show you the respect that you deserve.
The way that the OP has made mistakes on this issue, I have doubts about a lot of it. He "said" that Rick told him that he would stand behind the sale but did that really happen? I don't want to call the OP a liar, that isn't up to me to say. People sometimes remember things differently than they actually happened. Reciepts, emails, video....all of it would help to back up the claims.
Sometimes on rare occasions, I see an issue one way and cannot understand how or why anyone could see it differently. I do try hard to avoid this myopic way of thinking because when speaking in absolutes, you can look like an idiot when things go the other way.
In my opinion, any offer or guarantee is over once the part is disassembled or modified. Several businesses live by this principle as a means to protect themselves. I'm sure that you can understand that, just like the "No refunds on electrical parts" rule.
Thanks again, Greg.

Just to beat this horse a little more.

That rust is deep and far down so maybe the borescope didn't see it.

Yup you got screwed by someone.
Live and learn. No matter what, that was the wrong engine for you.

Next time if it ain't running and you dont see it apart DONT PAY for a race engine. I've seen way to many race engines that are garbage to ever buy one that's not fully apart.

You got screwed, by your self, by the original builder or by your mechanic.
That's it.
Live and learn. The hardest mistakes teach the most.

Find a good engine builder, build a repor with them, talk, watch there builds and pay them to start from scratch. When they finish your engine drop it in the car and run it.

I would never let any engine sit. That's what kills.

Use it or loose it.

Had you fired it right away you would be fine right now.

Yeah it sucks and is an expensive lesson but you wont ever get took in the same way again so that's a positive.

Your response was polite so I'll show you the respect that you deserve.
The way that the OP has made mistakes on this issue, I have doubts about a lot of it. He "said" that Rick told him that he would stand behind the sale but did that really happen? I don't want to call the OP a liar, that isn't up to me to say. People sometimes remember things differently than they actually happened. Reciepts, emails, video....all of it would help to back up the claims.
Sometimes on rare occasions, I see an issue one way and cannot understand how or why anyone could see it differently. I do try hard to avoid this myopic way of thinking because when speaking in absolutes, you can look like an idiot when things go the other way.
In my opinion, any offer or guarantee is over once the part is disassembled or modified. Several businesses live by this principle as a means to protect themselves. I'm sure that you can understand that, just like the "No refunds on electrical parts" rule.
Thanks again, Greg.

My individual thoughts on that...

Some things require inspection to determine and or prove deception/malpractice.

Electrical parts are returnable as long as you never hooked it up and have the box w/receipt.

He found the pitting with a borescope camera.. so what do you think should have happened after that initial finding?
Just return it? That's only an option if Burg honors his word or even the seller.

Handshake deals are best when all is in the open... with an atmosphere of trust...set by trustworthy people being involved.

If he bought an "as is" motor, let's say it cost him 1500 bucks... the core alone is worth that to a lot of people, so as an "as-is" deal... It don't burn as bad knowing that...At that point, he just paid the top 'reasonably speaking' price for a 340.

Buyers response sometimes: Your engine is apart, don't want it.
I need too pull the engine totally apart to inspect it.
I forget my mics, can I use yours.
Will you delver it for free, I am only couple hours up the road.
Will you guarantee it to clean up at 30 over?
My uncle sold one just like it last month for half what you are wanting.

I bought my last 1970 'stock' 340 short block for 300 bucks in 1999, afterward I partied like it too.

I used to see for sale $800.00-$2200.00 '65-'69 satellites, belvederes OFTEN , even in the 2000's pre 2010.

I had a knicked bore 'machinist guaranteed' to clean up at .020 one time.... needless to say that bore was NOT round and the motor ended up with 72% leakdown.

Last edited:
So how could it be your strong point and biggest flaw? That's contradictory. Right there is a mistake. Maybe you should quit nitpicking over spelling OR pack it up and head over th the "hooked on phonics" forum?? Corn is not spelled Kern either.....
Spotting mistakes, probably. It is also my biggest flaw. Mistakes just stand out to me as if they are a glowing yellow neon sign.

He found the pitting with a borescope camera.. so what do you think should have happened after that initial finding?

Actually, he didn't find it with a boroscope.

He stated his "mechanic" said
it was good to go, then it wasn't after ball honing.

The only time a boroscope came into play was when he inspected it the day he bought it.

Again how does he say it's okay, then all the sudden it's not? After a hone, mind you?

The OP got ripped alright. He should be looking at his mechanic friend as to where the ripping came from.

Actually, he didn't find it with a boroscope.

He stated his "mechanic" said
it was good to go, then it wasn't after ball honing.

The only time a boroscope came into play was when he inspected it the day he bought it.

Again how does he say it's okay, then all the sudden it's not? After a hone, mind you?

The OP got ripped alright. He should be looking at his mechanic friend as to where the ripping came from.

It's the rust pitting. If that werent in the picture ..'something not found without pulling heads'.... then yes, blame the dork who dingle balled it at full speed.

I really don't care, I could give two ***** about Erin'turd or this 340 that the guy that was okay to buy built the way it was and run it.

This thread is lame and so are the ones defending erinturd.. I see it as brown nosing... This thread author just learned the hard way... oh well, tuff ****...Don't do business with him anymore...and go buy your own parts and build it yourself.

Thinking you could get a rebuilt 340 for under 2k , Shame on you, now stand still so we can all piss on you about it... yadda yadda...

This is boring, 'pun inteneded'.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks it's important to specify they are driving a V-code Roadrunner before making a retort just comes off as a huge douchebag to me. The OP is a dumbass too. Carry on...

I'm sorta leanin this way too. Buyer needed to educate himself badly and seller ain't so honest. As Obama would say, they both have skin in the game.

So how could it be your strong point and biggest flaw? That's contradictory. Right there is a mistake. Maybe you should quit nitpicking over spelling OR pack it up and head over th the "hooked on phonics" forum?? Corn is not spelled Kern either.....
It does take a little intelligence to see how something can be both bad in some ways yet good in others. Maybe you just don't get it. I'll explain it better so you might understand.....
Spotting mistakes is what makes me good at my job and reasonably competent as a car guy. I am a Carpenter by trade and if I didn't have a keen eye for seeing flaws, small mistakes can become really big ones.....Costly ones. Regarding cars, I sometimes do body and paint work. Spotting mistakes there helps ensure a better finished product. Those two instances are examples of that trait being a strong point. Now, regarding it ALSO being my biggest flaw, by that I mean that I can't always turn it OFF. I see mistakes everywhere. I have been at someones house and can see a crooked doorway, I can feel when a floor is out of level and I can spot a piece of siding that is wavy because the studs underneath are not straight. I see grammar mistakes and they just stand out as if they are in boldface type.
Finally...."Kern Dog" is a play on words. My last name is Kern.

Maybe this will help too:

Old slut.jpg

corn.....<snortle> that's a goodun.

This "ain't" a dog show either....Why the picture of you holding one?

Who says that's me? Yer making assumptions....
No pencil behind your ear in your avatar, so I assume that is your husband?

Ha....Don't let the California address fool you. I have no interest in another man...OR using his picture.

I'm sorta leanin this way too. Buyer needed to educate himself badly and seller ain't so honest. As Obama would say, they both have skin in the game.

**** how about if you read between the lines of his opening post, notice how he wants to give the rotating assembly back but keep the block? How about he wants reimbursement for NEW pistons and rings? Maybe he thought is was too obvious n so he left the crank part out?

Is this guy trying to capitalize on his loss by turning it into a stroker on burgo's dime...?

Lol'ing as this unfolds...

**** how about if you read between the lines of his opening post, notice how he wants to give the rotating assembly back but keep the block? How about he wants reimbursement for NEW pistons and rings? Maybe he thought is was too obvious n so he left the crank part out?

Is this guy trying to capitalize on his loss by turning it into a stroker on burgo's dime...?

Lol'ing as this unfolds...

Yeah that and all the grammar police is makin this one entertaining.

-
Back