Buying a 360 shortblock?

-

racerkilla

Reaction score
So this is a odd story but few years back I had bought a 408 from a friend. He had thought it was a 408 but upon opening it it was just a 360. He gave me my money back and it has sat in my shop for 3-4 years. It is 60 over, has speedpro flat tops with 2 valve reliefs, cut crank, new bearings, oil pump, cam bearings etc

I can not for the life of me ID the rods. They are bushed rods, use arp bolt and nut(like stock rods have) and have SH829 on them?

Engine has a crap set of heads bolted on it to keep cylinders sealed up and no cam in it(have a summit stock cam with it..no use to me) I just looked and engine has almost no rust starting yet even though it had sat.

He had offered it to me for 250 bucks now just so he doesn't have to worry about getting it out of here. Not sure what to do. I don't really need it but any spare short block isn't a bad thing

I would pull it back apart to check bearing clearance and ring gap at the least and give everything a good cleaning.

So can someone help me id the rods if I get a picture tomorrow and I think for 250 can/t go wrong?

Get valve job, put cam you got in it, fire it up get it running and sell it for a grand, and make you some money☺

here are some pictures

It has heads with new valves and springs.. I call them crap because to me they are nothing special or performance. I think 1.94 mid 70's if I remember right. If i do buy it I want to tear it down, clean the crank, relube bearings, re torque everything etc.

Looks to me like with a cam and timing chain, you have the makings of nice street motor for $250! I'd buy just to have a spare.

I do have alum 4 barrel, mt valve covers and few other spare parts to put it together. Motor comes with box of parts. Front cover, oil pump, timing chain. Think goin to offer 200 and if he takes it pull it down and go over it. Make a decent spare if any of my 340s let go

I do have alum 4 barrel, mt valve covers and few other spare parts to put it together. Motor comes with box of parts. Front cover, oil pump, timing chain. Think goin to offer 200 and if he takes it pull it down and go over it. Make a decent spare if any of my 340s let go
If he doesn't take the $200, I'll buy for $250!!!!!

-
Back