buying a car

-

merri5f8

Reaction score
Need some advice on buying a car in a different state.

I found the car I want to buy from a private seller however the car is located about 3 hrs away and is in a different state. I would like to finance the car since rates are so low right now. So here is the problem. I went to look at the car and everything checks out to what its suppose to be. I left the seller a deposit so he knows I'm serious about buying and he could pay off his loan and get the lien off the title. Now for the tricky parts. The seller doesn't want to give me the car or the title without having the check from my bank clear and all funds are in his account first. From a sellers point of view I understand this. As a buyer I do not want to do this because what if he walks with my money and I never hear from the guy again? Or what if he beats on the car or changes things on the car (for the worse) that were there when I first looked at it.... Now he has my money and its a totally different car upon pick up. Has anyone ever dealt with before? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Hand him a cashiers check. Problem solved. Unless of course he doesn't understand how that works. If not tell him to talk to his bank about it, they should be able to set him straight.

Go there with the cashiers check from your financial institution and go with him to his bank, his bank can check with yours.

At that point you can make sure the lien is paid, and the title is signed off stating so.

If he isn't willing to do this, run.

Your bank can send a draft to his bank. Draft may not be the correct word but it is where his bank handles the transaction, gets the title and then sends it to your bank. His bank can verify all information with the your bank and you can pick up the car at the time of the bank transaction.

Get a bill of sale from the seller's state DMV.

Exchange funds at either your or their bank.

Fill out the BOS at the bank, and have it notarized, with copies for each, as well as the cashier's check.

Better yet, call the DMV in that state, and ask what procedure to use.

-
Back