Buying a Magnum Core- Max Mileage?

-
Guys, I have tuned hundreds of Magnums and the motors are stout. I would have no qualms about spraying or boosting a motor with 150k on it.

I have seen some issues with guys scoring bearings, but i think that is from shoddy maintenance/ long oil change intervals more than anything else, and I have repeatedly put down 450+ wheel on pump gas on these bottom ends.

http://magnummopar.com/articles-and-how-to/59l-magnum-engine-make-mine-a-59/

A link to a hotrod mag article which used a 5.9 with 160k on the whole engine, swapped EQ heads, a 380HP cam and made over 400 hp. The magnum engines use hypereutectic pistons and moly rings so they dont really have much cylinder wear, the 6.18" connecting rod also keeps wear down due to less side load than a shorter rod engine.( ie GM V8 5.7" rods)

I would pull the pan and if its clean inside, gasket, freeze plug and top end.

You will want to swap out the factory cam in all 5.9's as they are smaller than the 5.2 and keep the power low. At bare minimum, a 5.2 cam is a nice improvement. Dont waste a dollar on "fixing" the stock heads, EQ's are about as cheap as a valve job on stockers.

yep what magnummopar said! mopar action took the 380hp cam bolted on a set of magnum r/t heads and fuel injection then made 425hp would have been higher with eq heads. Numerous junkyard jewel builds on the net with the 5.9l magnum inspect the bottom end if its all good your good to go. All my daily drivers have over 250k one 5.2 Dakota I have is around 400k.

yep what magnummopar said! mopar action took the 380hp cam bolted on a set of magnum r/t heads and fuel injection then made 425hp would have been higher with eq heads. Numerous junkyard jewel builds on the net with the 5.9l magnum inspect the bottom end if its all good your good to go. All my daily drivers have over 250k one 5.2 Dakota I have is around 400k.

Really? On whose dyno? Corrected to what variables?

I don't trust magazine articles any further than I can throw a 5.9 Magnum.

lol not that hard to believe!! 380hp with stock production magnum heads compared to magnum r/t big valve heads. While mopar performance was there building and tuning the 5.9l crate motor fuel injection kit on it. So yeah very believable. I believe the article is called " savvy savoy" The car also proved the #'s on the strip

-
Back