Buying a new harness

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just priced new harnesses from Year One and almost passed out: over $800 !!!!!! Any better deals out there? I'm sure there's one place making these things and every vendor is putting them in their packaging.... same goes for weatherstripping.

HELP!

Do you need the entire harness ? I got away with just a engine harness. Best $150 I ever spent on the car.

AdamR said:
Do you need the entire harness ? I got away with just a engine harness. Best $150 I ever spent on the car.

Nah, it's NEVER that easy for me. My trunk harness is spliced together....the engine harness is hacked...and forget about what's left of the dash harness. Everything is a patch followed by a patch. It all WORKS, but I'll be damned if I'm going to risk an electrical fire over this.

Thanks for the link to Evans ! I'll check them out.

Yup, replace it. Nothings worse then chasing electical problems. To bad its not a 67. I think I still have the dash harness out of my old parts car.

How about using a painless wiring kit ?

AdamR said:
How about using a painless wiring kit ?

I thought about that too. But something tells me there will be nothing "painless" about it. To adapt all the Mopar specific plugs and firewall block...I may as well build my own.

I'll probably just bite the towel and endure the rape....:sad1:

I think they actually have a Mopar harness now but seeing its still a one size fits all its gotta be a pain in the ***.

AdamR said:
I think they actually have a Mopar harness now but seeing its still a one size fits all its gotta be a pain in the ***.

I just checked out their site and might actually go with it.... I just wish they would list prices! JEGS advertises a universal kit for about $465, but this kit is EVERYTHING from bumper to bumper. I have to decide if the $300+ savings is worth my time to "make it work..."

Something else to ponder....:scratch:

I see "good" factory harnesses on Ebay all the time, you might want to think about trying to get one. They usually go for peanuts when they come up.

unreformed66 said:
I see "good" factory harnesses on Ebay all the time, you might want to think about trying to get one. They usually go for peanuts when they come up.

Hmm... I know what your saying. I've seen them and wondered if the sellers idea of "good" is the same as mine... plus we're back to the old, used harness issue. I have this unfounded fear of watching this thing burn to the ground and I'd like to prevent it. Besides, the YearOne harness advertises that the plugs have to be re-used.

I wonder if it's the same as Painless?

yep year one is expensive, but they have it cornered. evans makes engine harnesses for your car and that is it. technically, it should be an engine forward harness that includes the lights but it only connects in about 3 spots, i think. the harnesses that year one sells are made by m & h electrical fabricators, I have an account with them. even I can't buy mopar harnesses( they make alot of gm harnesses, too). year one paid for the r & d and the tooling for these to be made and they have a contract with year one to sell them thru year one and only year one, period. I know this doesn't ease the pain of the price, but you will be so happy with new wiring. if it's any consolation, the new wiring is made with better copper inside and more fire resistant insulation on the outside.

redfastback said:
If it's any consolation, the new wiring is made with better copper inside and more fire resistant insulation on the outside.

That's what I'm thinking. My wife says "Go ahead and buy it...." but I'm thinking if I can trim $50 here...$100 there I can buy more or better stuff. I know I'm in for a huge parts bill. I'm just trying to justify each purchase wisely. :|

I checked into Ron Francis for the retro harness....It actually relaces ALL harnesses from headlight to taillight, but now you have to buy the altenator adapter, headlight switch and dimmer and has NO bulkhead fitting-you have use a hole in the firewall with a gromet. I'l just have to fix the dash harness myself.

-
Back