Buying a wrecked truck from Copart?

-

Chained_360

Delusional Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I've been pondering putting a 5.7 hemi into my 68 Notchback. It's already got a 904, so all I need is motor mounts and some headers in order to get the motor to fit. Now, I'm on a tight budget here, and I don't really want to drop $1500 on a used 5.7 with 160,000 miles on it that I will have to get a bajillion little things for (wiring harness, misc. parts, etc.).

Sooo, my mester genius plen is to find a donor vehicle with a hemi that I can pillage. And fortunately, I live in Alaska; land of Subaru foresters and Dodge Rams. Basically, the local Copart car auction has a bunch of wrecked rams with Hemis that I could buy for (relatively) cheap, yank the engine out of and pillage parts from, and then sell to a scrapyard or part out.

Is that a generally good plan if I were to do this (biiiig if)? Has anybody had any experience with buying from Copart?

Buy from them all the time. And as always caveat emptor. Not that they will treat you bad but when you buy it- it's yours

i dont know who copart is, but the rest of the plan is solid
find yourself a low miles hit-in-the-rear truck and go to town

Inspect carefully, a hard enough hit can break a block, or a bottomed out driveshaft can wreck a transmission.

I have bought a few vehicles from Copart. Every one was pretty much what I expected. A couple of small surprises but nothing that made me regret the deal. If they say it runs and drives it means the engine starts and it will go into drive. They don't say the engine has a knock or anything like that.

Jack

So, I've been pondering putting a 5.7 hemi into my 68 Notchback. It's already got a 904, so all I need is motor mounts and some headers in order to get the motor to fit. Now, I'm on a tight budget here, and I don't really want to drop $1500 on a used 5.7 with 160,000 miles on it that I will have to get a bajillion little things for (wiring harness, misc. parts, etc.).

Sooo, my mester genius plen is to find a donor vehicle with a hemi that I can pillage. And fortunately, I live in Alaska; land of Subaru foresters and Dodge Rams. Basically, the local Copart car auction has a bunch of wrecked rams with Hemis that I could buy for (relatively) cheap, yank the engine out of and pillage parts from, and then sell to a scrapyard or part out.

Is that a generally good plan if I were to do this (biiiig if)? Has anybody had any experience with buying from Copart?
Copart has some of the highest fees in the business. Make sure you have a grasp of the number and cost of them BEFORE you pull the trigger. And you usually need to go through one of their brokers to bid.

-
Back