Buying my first/ last house. (restoring it to time capsule)

-

DaveBonds

Garage Trash
Reaction score
I've been a ghost around here.

Most of my time has been spent getting ready for the Denver Modernism trade show that went well, and the rest of it has been spent house hunting.

We were going to try and buy Amy's great grandmother's place in Lakewood, built in '61, we love the architecture and the style, but it was a tad out of our range in price, after it was appraised, by HUD.

It needed a lot of fixing up in some ways. Everything, even the shag carpet, is turquoise. Walls, ceilings, everything. I like the color, but nothing should ever be all one color, let alone that color.

Anyway, after we decided that they were asking too much for the house and found nothing, our dream house came up on the market, less than five blocks away from that house, with all of the remodeling ideas that we were going to apply to the other house, already there.

We contacted our realtor, who set up an appointment and we were the first to view it, the next morning, after it was listed the evening before.

Unfortunately, there were eight other showings scheduled for that day alone and the seller took another bid over ours, after mowing it over, that weekend. I didn't have much hope, honestly, knowing the market here has gone to people moving into houses and warehouses as well as store fronts to try their hand as potrepeneurs in our new, booming, slow, stupid and hungry industry. The market for reality is a seller's market, to put lightly. It sucks. Big.

A couple weeks ago, we get a phone call while we're at a concert, from our realtor, asking if we would still be interested in the house. Apparently, the seller shut the first contract down, because of a suspicious email she got, leading to her investigating the buyer's behavior. She found out that he had other houses under contract, on the same loan. Pretty nasty thing to do to everyone involved, but I guess that's a common thing that people are now doing in this market? Sleazy.

Anyway, we were pretty ecstatic to have been offered the house, directly. The seller could have put it up on the market again and we'd have to put in another offer, but had apparently liked our letter that we wrote to her, about her house and why we thought it was a good place for us. One of her issues was that she thought someone would come in and update the entire thing and ruin it.

The house does need some work, but that's what I do.

livingroom_zps7299f78a.jpg
[/IMG]

The core elements of the house are solid. Some even better than most (new sewer line out to the street three years ago, as well as a new sewer line in the street, new furnace, roof, hot water heater, breaker box, etc.)

Much like many older Chrysler products, it has everything that I want and gathers my respect for what it is and the thought that went into it, when the house was designed and built in 1960.

I'm not going to change much, but I am going to do some things. I checked the edge of the carpet and it's sitting on hardwood flooring, so next summer, it's coming out and I'm going to refinish the floors in a dark color. Odds are, it has some stains from years of use and carpet tacks on the sides can leave mold lines.

It has no garage, but the carport is as wide and as deep as the 2 car garage I'm in now, only taller, so I can put a door on it, which I will do, but I am going to run the roof line out and build a 4 car on the hill, in the front yard, off of the 2 car.

The FHA chewed me up and spit me out, even when I tried attaching an additional $5500 to the loan on a 203K construction addition in the loan. They said ok and then had some ugly contractors come out and tell me I even had to have the trusses outside, over the brick walls, painted professionally. I know why and I don't care.

I'm also not one for paying someone else to do something that I can do. I've been framing an entire office building at my new work, over the past 2 months, complete with caissons, and bond beams on the foundation with a garage poured, so I've got hookups on equipment, material suppliers and help for future projects.

I've decided to sell the 240Z to fund the 4 car garage materials. Kinda sucks, because I love the car, but this will force me to have a nice place to work and get going on my Charger.

I want brick on the 4 car to match the house, so I'm going to learn that, too.

Thanks!

The owner has lived in it for the last thirty five years, so this place hasn't had a lot of different occupants and it shows.

The basement still had some of the original hand drawn designs thumb tacked to some shelving, of the crazy racking that makes up the shelves by the living room windows and the banister behind that couch, leading the staircase into the full basement.

The basement is mostly unfinished, with the exception of a bathroom that was put in without cutting the concrete for drain pipes and a raised floor that levels the ceiling off in the room at six feet (I'm 6'5", so it's coming out) and a non conforming bedroom that is painted gloss black and red on the walls, teenager special.

They did put a bar downstairs, but it's super dorky. I plan on building my own and finishing in the entire basement after the garage is done.

The owner also threw in a 1963 Brunswick slate top pool table and original balls and cues, because they didn't want to move it. I don't blame them, so I guess I'm going to pick up pool.

Amy wants skee ball, so I may build two lanes to go downstairs. I already have 3 pinball machines with room in my current rental for one. At this rate I may end up turning the basement into an arcade.

I also need to figure out how to get paint out of rough finished wood. I love the tongue in groove wood slat ceiling, but I'm not fond of the captain america blue and lavender, against the DIY magenta and 1x2 board draw curtains.

I'm thinking about throwing this thing back and going with some burnt orange, yellow and avocado.

Really stoked for you. Glad somebody can afford to do something they want.

Good to see you posting Dave. Good luck with the home makeover.
C

Some color ideas for new counter tops and paint-

3ecdafba731e023ac2ca96dfca4dd88b.jpg

I'm probably going to go with a natural zebra wood on new cabinets, either without handles or make my own. I'd also like to do a suspended glass face and back cabinet above a new breakfast bar, replacing the one next to the stairs.

green-st-charles-kitchen.jpg

Really stoked for you. Glad somebody can afford to do something they want.

I had to sell a lot of my junk to get it there.

I'm not thrilled about some of the stuff that I had to part with, but I'd be stupid not to go after a house that I lost out on and was handed after.

I think the driving element was helping clean out Amy's great grandmother's house a year ago. We wanted it, but had no way to do it, even after HUD sat on it for the entire year and sold it last month. It was $50k out of my price range. This house would be, too, same era and 1/4 mile old neighborhood, if it weren't for the amount of mud jacking and gutter work that it needs here and there, I'd still be looking.

When I was cleaning out that other house that was made at the same time, the more I watched apartment buildings go up around my neighborhood with the new light rail that went in, it made me realize that if I sit around and wait until it's convenient for me, it may never be. The stupid legal weed market has skyrocketted all real estate, which is something I don't think anybody saw coming.

I kind of wanted to wait until I had more sales with my new business, but I'm either spending money on someone else's mortgage or my own.

At least this way, if I want to rip a wall out downstairs or replace the ceiling fan in my 7' ceiling that hits me in the face with a light fixture without getting bitched out, I can do what I need to.

I think I may make two of these to replace the Home Depot specials in the dining room area and put one across the living/ kitchen area that matches-

sputnik+elledecor+com.jpg

Congratulations on getting the house you want! I'm a big fan of that style, and the philosophy behind it, hard to find unadulterated. You'll probably be able to prime the blue beams, then paint them a shade of brown that will look fine.

You need the formica with the boomerang design somewhere.

I thought about that. I know I can get something to bury that crap, but I'd love it if I could get it down to bare wood to stain, when I do the floors to match.

I've also thought about putting a zebra wood veneer on them to match the cabinets.

I completely agree with the unadulterated aspect. I hate when people modernize modernism, if that makes sense. It looks cliche. Bury everything under a slab of drywall, because the contractors are sniffing gypsum powder, too much. Lots of stainless appliances and big screen TVs above fireplaces. No thanks.

And as much as I like track lights, the ones in the picture are getting flushed.

Some people think I'm nuts for going with burnt orange and avocado and making gold and off white wool weave, side pull curtains. I dunno. I guess it's like a mural on a van, aluminum slot mags and plaid seats in Ford Mavericks. Most of those design elements are never reproduced today, even though people joke about it and admire it, but seldom do you see anyone with the balls to actually roll with it and when you see it done well, you wonder why more people don't.

Beautiful house and plan! Your first post looks like something I could have written 5 years ago about our 1964 ranch. For the most part, ours was unadulterated too, except the kitchen and the flooring in 2 other small rooms, so we tastefully did what my wife wanted with that, and left the rest original including the "pink" main bathroom. So, I love that you're preserving part and trying to keep or enhance the character of the rest. So many people try to make an older house something it's not, fighting against it's character, and it usually ends up looking horrible, IMO. Let the house be itself!

Side note: pics of the 240z? I've recently developed a fascination with them, and I'm thinking one might be my next car after I get 2 out of 3 of my current projects in order.

Congrats Dave! I love doing renos as well, although I might not be as good as you. I learned from my Dad who was never afraid to tackle anything. Take a look at this website, it's my Moms store up here in Toronto, but you could get some really cool ideas from it. She loves to help people come up with ideas, so you could even call her if you like. She has been doing this for almost 40 years.
Website http://www.urbanmode.com/
Cheers
Steve

And yeah, you get these in Lakewood. Near the Lakewood nursery, W Yale east of s. Kipling. Tough to see but that's an elk. When you think that animal had to cross 470 and several 4 lane streets in a high population area is crazy.

Attachments

• 2009 vacation part 6 010 mailer.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 320
Congrats!

Thanks!

My first car. And I grew up in that kind of house, it was great.

Awesome. I've been on the hunt for a good plaid fabric to do some new furniture in. I found a gold weave that is ridiculously cool, that I'm going to use for curtains.

Nice find,Dave. Good luck.

Thanks, Tim. I really didn't think I'd have a chance at this place. We've been looking for about 3 years, and after bailing on the other house that Amy's great grandmother had, we thought we'd be looking a lot longer for something that we wanted to keep and would have to spend quite a bit more to get it.

Beautiful house and plan! Your first post looks like something I could have written 5 years ago about our 1964 ranch. For the most part, ours was unadulterated too, except the kitchen and the flooring in 2 other small rooms, so we tastefully did what my wife wanted with that, and left the rest original including the "pink" main bathroom. So, I love that you're preserving part and trying to keep or enhance the character of the rest. So many people try to make an older house something it's not, fighting against it's character, and it usually ends up looking horrible, IMO. Let the house be itself!

Side note: pics of the 240z? I've recently developed a fascination with them, and I'm thinking one might be my next car after I get 2 out of 3 of my current projects in order.

I really wanted to get a house with an area that I could set up a larger bathroom. This place has two bathrooms that are adjacent to each other, but it's nice having two bathrooms and they both have really awesome vanity tiles and sinks, so I'm going to get rid of the 1980s tiles on the flooring and do something that goes with the original fixtures.

The master bathroom is coral pink and it will stay that way. The main bathroom is black and gold, so we're going to do gloss black steel cabinets with gold webbing/ elephant over the black. Its the same as a speckle finish, only you don't reduce the gold paint, so it strings. They used to do this in black over white Gottlieb pinball machine cabinets in the late fifties through the early seventies.

This is gold over white-

31lHw-RUTfL.jpg

Congrats Dave! I love doing renos as well, although I might not be as good as you. I learned from my Dad who was never afraid to tackle anything. Take a look at this website, it's my Moms store up here in Toronto, but you could get some really cool ideas from it. She loves to help people come up with ideas, so you could even call her if you like. She has been doing this for almost 40 years.
Website http://www.urbanmode.com/
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the site link! I'll be digging around there for some time. I might pick her brain on some stuff!

And yeah, you get these in Lakewood. Near the Lakewood nursery, W Yale east of s. Kipling. Tough to see but that's an elk. When you think that animal had to cross 470 and several 4 lane streets in a high population area is crazy.

They actually have a fence on lookout, at the foot, by the highway, with a deer crossing yellow light, because they had so many issues with them coming into town.

So now, if you're headed around the back side of 6th out to lookout or coming the back way into downtown Golden, you've got to watch for them at the crossing.

The last property that I was on had a lot of fox. I was over on 10th and wads, just west of wadsworth on 10th, in that farm animal zoning. This neighborhood is old. Its the neighborhood that is just south of 6th ave, between Wads and Sheridan.

Have you heard of Retro Renavations?

I think Amy is following that blog? They are also on facebook. Pretty cool stuff. They have a lot of links from people's input that help people restore their homes and link to things that companies still make, like some of the wood ceiling tiles that some of these houses had. I was hoping that Formica still made their boomerang counter top that they have, in more colors than gray/ black. I can get boomerang counter tops in multiple colors, but I don't like the patterns that are available. They don't look authentic at all, so I'm thinking some solid color polycarbonate is in order.

I can't wait to get my aluminum foundry going once we're moved, so I can make nice, decorative door handle plates and other things.

I'm also considering making my own cinder block design, so I can have a cinder block and brick post 3' fence.

img_restbuilt01.jpg

No brown acid. Check. I don't want to have a freakout.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F94g9EaXO8"]The Poppy Family - There's No Blood In Bone (with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

CONGRATS! first and foremost. i got my first house when i was 19 (2002) i had big dreams of remodeling and flipping. got most of remodel done and then got laid off. i ended up having to short sale the home. i also just plain stopped paying bills. needless to say my credit was slaughtered. fast forward to present day and i have been whoring myself out to fix my credit. i have finally got my score about ready but i want a thrashed hud home and do all the work myself. i have sold everything but my soul in order to get my down payment together. so once again congrats! you have a wonderful home and i am happy its your dream home.

Rough! I'm glad that you've got your credit back up and money to get the down.

We looked at a HUD down the street. Actually, it was Amy's grandmother's house, 4 blocks away, built in '61, which is the house that got us motivated. Same era and designer, but it had 8' ceilings and this place is basically what we wanted to do to it, already.

As it worked out, we ended up getting 550 more square feet for 35k less than that house went for, with the remodel/ ceiling work we wanted to begin with, so we saved a bunch by missing out, as it stands.

I was gonna give up and buy a HUD and do the same thing, to flip, but I'm honestly glad that I can just let it be, even though you can make that formula work to your advantage, quite a bit.

A friend of mine had the same problem. Its hard to keep together, sometimes. My job is pretty stable and I have enough side work that I could quit and do that all day, but I think I'm gonna stick to doing both.

Working a bit more than per usual, pulling about 50 a week between work and side jobs, maybe more, but its worth it. I can cover my bills with the regular 40, but I want to do other things.

I thought I was gonna get away with not having a garage for a year or so, but I've quickly realized I want the room in the basement for other things and I want to have a good garage, so that is the next thing to happen, next season.

For now, I'm going to take it easy over the holidays and get some money saved for the garage and live in it how it sits, currently;

LivingRoommovedin_zps267767aa.jpg

-
Back