bypass heater core

-

goatboy

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart with a /6 and the hoses to the heater core were put together with a coupling and the heater core was bypassed altogether. We pressure tested the core and with no sign of a leak we hooked the hoses up again. The heater works. My question is why would someone have done that if it doesn't leak? I am a little confussed. thanks

my best guess is someone thought the waterfound in the floor came from the heater core.

Sometimes the core is bypassed during the summer months because of all the extra heat that the heater box gives off inside the car when the heater isn't needed. Especially on cars that are non AC which is most of the 60 muscle cars. I bypassed mine on my Dart because of the car being black with black interior it help cut down on the interior heat in the car. Besides I never drive the car during cold weather anyway so the heater isn't used. Plus I don't have the hot heater hoses in the way under the hood when I'm under the hood working on things.

If you live in Michigan and drive your car in the winter or late fall, yeah you have heaters!

Could be the cables are froze up & the heater was stuck in the "hot" position all the time...? They do put off a lot of heat. My heater box was froze up & stuck in the hot position with the heater core still operational. Summer time cruizing was a nut roaster!

Once I get it finished, I will never drive it in the cold months, so I have since made the duster into a heater delete car. So no more nut roaster!!

My '65 Dart GT has an aftermarket under-dash A/C I stilll keep working.
(Many repairs) But it never had a heater control valve like factory cars.
So I added a gate valve in the heater line, and just shut it off in the summer.

Well I can tell you from my ride home from work last night that the heater core is leaking like an mf. I got into it on a straight away and started smelling antifreeze. I am gonna bypass it again until I can get a new heater core. I am also gonna blacken my buddys eye for the trouble. Maybe not but maybe I won't be a easy the next time I tattoo him. thanks guys

-
Back