bypass hose and thermostat

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am installing a new sanden shorty compressor to get my factory a/c going again. I was told that if I have an air gap manifold that the bypass hose would need to be eliminated as it would interfere with the retro a/c pump bracket. I have since plugged the intake with a 1" aluminum plug. I then took a 1/2" 14 NPT tap and threaded the inside walls of the bypass port on the aluminum water pump housing. I inserted an aluminum 1/2" pipe plug and all is fine. Now, should I just run the car with no thermostat. Or should I install the EMP Stewart extra performance 300 series thermostat. My auto parts guy said that is what the 300 thermostat is for. If the thermostat (160 degrees) does not open, the water will still pass through rather than take out the motor. I also read to use a thermostat and drill a few holes around the outer perimeter? Anybody have experience with any of these issues?

I am installing a new sanden shorty compressor to get my factory a/c going again. I was told that if I have an air gap manifold that the bypass hose would need to be eliminated as it would interfere with the retro a/c pump bracket. I have since plugged the intake with a 1" aluminum plug. I then took a 1/2" 14 NPT tap and threaded the inside walls of the bypass port on the aluminum water pump housing. I inserted an aluminum 1/2" pipe plug and all is fine. Now, should I just run the car with no thermostat. Or should I install the EMP Stewart extra performance 300 series thermostat. My auto parts guy said that is what the 300 thermostat is for. If the thermostat (160 degrees) does not open, the water will still pass through rather than take out the motor. I also read to use a thermostat and drill a few holes around the outer perimeter? Anybody have experience with any of these issues?
bump

Drill at least 1 small hole in the t'stat flange to create a bypass right there.
I would drill 3 of 1/8 holes.

yeah just one tiny hole will work but its a slow burp process when refilling the system. 3 @ 1/8 would be overkill if the bypass hose is present.

I don't see bypass holes in the perimeter flange on that photo.

Ya, but if you read the description it states it has 3 bypass holes. They are drilled in the inside vertical sleeve?

Oh well,
Just opened my gooseneck and the one the idiot at the parts store gave me is way to small for a 340. It says it fits ford and chevy. what else is new. Ford and chevy ford and chevy ford and chevy. company does not have a listing for mopar. But you can see one of the hiles in the vertical sleeve. Is this where they get drilled if I just get a thermostat at the parts store?

-
Back