Bypassing the Ballast Resistor

-

wish4hemi

Reaction score
I put a new Accel Breakerless SuperStock coil (http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/8145C/10002/-1) on my 440 with the Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit. After putting about 50 miles on the new coil, the ballast resistor (1.2 ohm) supplied with the MP kit burned up. I tried another 1.2 ohm and a 0.8 ohm and they both fried almost immediately.

For now, I have the ballast resistor bypassed and the car is running great. Does anybody know if the Accel Breakerless coil has an internal resistor?

I can't find any information on whether I should be running a ballast resistor with it or not. The way it is running now, I would rather not have one on there.

In the latest issue of Mopar Muscle the author states you don't need one unless you have points.

The 4 wire ECU's uses the full battery voltage, and the ballast is only for the coil. If you get a coil that does not need a ballast, bypass it.

The article simplistically assumes that all coils can run off 12 volts. The Accel Super Stock canister coil, for example, will burn up without a ballast, I learned that firsthand, 1.5 miles from home. (had to walk it!)

Whether you need a ballast depends on the coil. Make sure about your coil. The HEI style coils don't need one,for example.

In the illustration below, the "start" position of your key sends 12 volts directly to the coil. The Run position send 12 volts to the Ballast, which drops the voltage to the coil to about 5 volts.

Attachments

• pic-21.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,258
-
Back