C-Body Manifolds in Big Block Duster

-

YoungBlood

Jolt the Squares
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am curious whether any of you have used the C-Body log-style (non-HP) manifolds in your big block A-Bodies. I know I will have to eliminate the sleeve on my steering column. From what I have HEARD, these C-Body exhaust manifolds work great, but that is hearsay. I understand that the B-Body HP manifolds will work but you can't keep your column shifter. I intend on keeping the column shifter as this will be the sleeper in my town.

Has anyone put these C-Body (specifically) log-style manifolds on and been able to keep their column shifter?

YoungBlood

No, but I've seen it done w/4sp. Not sure how the auto issue works, probably gonna be some clearance issues. I remember the 440 Dart my bud built a long time time ago used them and it was real tight. Involved some grinding/clearancing, as I recall.

When I bought my 67 Barracuda, it already had the 440 in it out of a 73 New Yorker. It was a column shift car and utilized the stock 73 log manifolds. I believe that the previous owner who installed the engine had the left side manifold machined slightly at the mounting flange so it would lie closer to the engine block when bolted up thus freeing up space for the steering column. I'm not 100% sure about this but it is what he told me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

I don't mind modifiying the manifolds to make them work, as my main concern is the column shifter. I suppose I would have figured this out alreaday but I haven't even mocked up the block yet and I want to get as many angles covered as possible before I drop her in.

I am putting in a 383 so the manifolds will sit a little lower than the 440 Barracuda and Dart you guys mentioned, and if I can get away with little to no mods to make this work I will be the first to let you guys know about this triumphant feat.

saw a set of c body manifolds, have used the 67 bb manifolds,they have similarities but clearing the column on the c manifolds would defitely require some manifold fab as the originals on the 67 big block have a much sharper curve than the cs I seen, on a 383 or 400 its posible but on the 440 I think the work wouldnt be worth the effort, buy hooker sc fenderwells ,I gained 1.5 seconds over the restrictive 67 bb manifolds

young yes ,let us know as the cs will outperform them restrictive originals

-
Back