Cable-shift Torqueflite - ’64 vs ’65

-

Cstm880

Reaction score
Hoping some of the experts on here can clarify something for me. I'm doing a slant six to V8 swap in a ’64 Valiant. I found a 1965 V8 transmission, knowing that it's cable-shifted. The question I have is, are there differences between the push-button cable-shift design of ’64 and the column- or floor-shifted cable design of ’65? In other words, will I need to make any alterations to the ’65 transmission to work with my ’64 push-button shifter?

Nope, you should be fine. Other than the slip yoke vs. ball & trunnion, the only difference is the valve body. '65 will work in a PB application, just not the other way around. Be sure you grab the yoke along with the trans, they're a one-year only item, and kinda hard to find. I've heard tell that the later ones leak in a '65 trans, but I've never had to find out.

You bet. When I mentioned the slip yoke deal, I assumed the '65 trans is a 727?

Good deal, that makes it even easier. Disregard all the slip yoke ramblings.

@fshd4it
What is the oddity regarding '65 727 slip yokes? OD? Spline count? Other? TIA, Lefty71

There's a seal between the output shaft and the inside of the yoke; spline count and pitch are the same, but there's no groove/missing spline; and there's a small hole in the tail end for a pressure relief. I've been told (or read, maybe) that the newer ones don't seal up correctly, but with the o.d. being the same (which I'm pretty sure it is) and the extension housing seal the same, I'm not seeing why that would be the case.

20180714_102335.jpg

20180705_085225.jpg

20180705_084917.jpg

Good info. I'm saving this data for future reference and we'll see what happens when I try it out on an upcoming build ('64 Belvy convert to 426 w/ cable/slip 727). Thx, Lefty71

-
Back