Cale Yarbrough

-
Cale was in a bad crash sometime in the 80's, maybe? Anyway, about all that was left of the car was the roll cage, and he unstrapped the belts and stood up and climbed out without a scratch. Monday morning, he was sitting at Banjo Matthews race shop in Arden, NC. When the manager showed up, Cale wanted him to look up the records of chassis number ABC123, or whatever it was. Bob asked him why, and Cale told him he'd see when everybody showed up for work. Bob told him who built the cage and chassis, and he and Cale sat around and shot the bull till all the guys got there. He said Cale stood up and said come on Bob, I got some important business to take care of. Bob, my friend who worked there said he had no idea what was about to happen, and just hoped it wasn't bad. Bob had told Cale who built his chassis and Cale had been there enough to know exactly who it was. Cale walked into the shop, and called for everyone's attention and then called the young man by name and said "Come here a minute son." The guy walked out, Cale went up to him and stuck his hand out to shake hands. The guy shook his hand and then Cale didn't turn his hand loose and told him he wanted to thank him for doing a good job, paying attention to every cut and every weld, and every little detail. Then he hugged the man and told him that his good work was the difference in him being alive or mashed up and dead. Cale told him he just had to come thank him personally, and to look him in the eye while he done it! I've heard a lot of stories from some of the old timers involved with NASCAR back when it was worth watching, and that is one of the ones that sticks in my mind the most because it was such a good story. From all accounts I've heard from people, Cale Yarbrough was a good guy. May he R.I.P.

Cale was in a bad crash sometime in the 80's, maybe? Anyway, about all that was left of the car was the roll cage, and he unstrapped the belts and stood up and climbed out without a scratch. Monday morning, he was sitting at Banjo Matthews race shop in Arden, NC. When the manager showed up, Cale wanted him to look up the records of chassis number ABC123, or whatever it was. Bob asked him why, and Cale told him he'd see when everybody showed up for work. Bob told him who built the cage and chassis, and he and Cale sat around and shot the bull till all the guys got there. He said Cale stood up and said come on Bob, I got some important business to take care of. Bob, my friend who worked there said he had no idea what was about to happen, and just hoped it wasn't bad. Bob had told Cale who built his chassis and Cale had been there enough to know exactly who it was. Cale walked into the shop, and called for everyone's attention and then called the young man by name and said "Come here a minute son." The guy walked out, Cale went up to him and stuck his hand out to shake hands. The guy shook his hand and then Cale didn't turn his hand loose and told him he wanted to thank him for doing a good job, paying attention to every cut and every weld, and every little detail. Then he hugged the man and told him that his good work was the difference in him being alive or mashed up and dead. Cale told him he just had to come thank him personally, and to look him in the eye while he done it! I've heard a lot of stories from some of the old timers involved with NASCAR back when it was worth watching, and that is one of the ones that sticks in my mind the most because it was such a good story. From all accounts I've heard from people, Cale Yarbrough was a good guy. May he R.I.P.
I've not heard that story before.

Nice!

When I used to race racing go karts a Dad introduced me to his son Cale. His father said I named him after Cale Yarborough. I asked him if he knew his name was really Caleb... I got the deer in the headlights look. It was pretty funny.

-
Back