California AB1824 (exhaust system)

-
I tested my car. (Just with a phone app)
360, long tube headers, 2.5" pipes, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn downs in front of the rear axle.

My car is loud, like loud enough you cant hear jack inside the car at idle. At 3,500 RPM its screaming. Even just cruzing @2K it makes car alarms chirp.

I was 77DB at idle and 94 at 3,500 RPM. so if your car wont pass then it must be miserable to drive. I plan on testing it again and recording a video on my phone of the readout. If I get stopped I will calmly tell the officer I have video proof it's not to loud. It's not a fool proof plan but it should help me out some.

I tested my car. (Just with a phone app)
360, long tube headers, 2.5" pipes, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn downs in front of the rear axle.

My car is loud, like loud enough you cant hear jack inside the car at idle. At 3,500 RPM its screaming. Even just cruzing @2K it makes car alarms chirp.

I was 77DB at idle and 94 at 3,500 RPM. so if your car wont pass then it must be miserable to drive. I plan on testing it again and recording a video on my phone of the readout. If I get stopped I will calmly tell the officer I have video proof it's not to loud. It's not a fool proof plan but it should help me out some.

Yeah I wouldn’t do that. No officer is going to listen to your “video proof” explanation and not write you a ticket. More than likely they’ll write you a ticket just for implying you know their job better than they do. If they were gonna write you an excessive noise ticket that won’t stop them, just pass the test.

Testing with your cell phone isn’t anywhere close to a legitimate test either, it certainly wouldn’t stand up in any legal arena. It’s not useless, it’s helpful for you to figure out if you’re in the ballpark for noise or not. Piece of mind for you. But that’s all it is. The actual test follows a strict procedure with calibrated instruments that are far more accurate than a cell phone app.

The law was always intended for illegal exhausts and modifications. It’s definitely not impossible to fail the test with a full exhaust out to the rear bumper and aftermarket mufflers, but it would take some doing. I just ran glasspacks on my Challenger for years and never even got a second look, let alone a fix it ticket. The law didn’t change, just the fine.

Dont worry I'm smart enough to never argue with a LEO. what they say is pretty much fact, even when not.
I just wanted to know how close I was to being over and was very surprised with the numbers I got. Granted it was not a calibrated meter but I did stick the phone right up to the pipe with my buddy holding 3,500 so I'm not super worried about it.

As far as what I would say would go something like this. " yes sir, I understand. Just to let you know I did have my car tested and recorded the entire test."

When I get pulled over I'm fully Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, hands at 10 and 2, i ask before I reach for my wallet, I inform them of the pocket knife in my pocket, i remove my sunglasses and extinguish my cigar.

I have a few cop friends so I k ow what they like to see and how they like to be treated.

I also agree most likely this is just one more thing they will tack on once they ketch you doing something that they dont like.

I do have concerns that my car is exactly the kinds of car this law is aimed at, (full roll cage, big DOT slicks, front runners, visable fuel cell hanging out the bottom of the trunk and a prostock wing) to be fully honest it is built just for street racing so they wouldn't be wrong for profiling me...

:)

My CHP buddy told me that the “exhaust noise is subjective”. Also the CHP doesn’t carry decibel meters, have no training to conduct a roadside test.

The vehicle code states where, who and how the test should be conducted.

Been there, done that!

My CHP buddy told me that the “exhaust noise is subjective”. Also the CHP doesn’t carry decibel meters, have no training to conduct a roadside test.

IMG_20190125_111247_039.jpg

Whether or not you get a ticket is subjective. The law and the testing required is definitely not subjective.

The vehicle code states where, who and how the test should be conducted.

Been there, done that!

Exactly!

No roadside tests, all the testing is conducted at specified referee stations using SAE standards.

Hell, back in 1970 while driving my A56 cuda I passed a local NJ town cop who was sitting along the side of the road and i received a ticket for reckless driving, and in court he told the judge that I created a vacuum when I passed by. Subjective ?

That's the thing that upsets me about the law. It's an guilty until proven innocent deal.
It's just the officers opinion and unlike their opinion on visually clocking a moving car, they receive no training on what's to loud.

That's just not right.

When you have to go to a referee station, then they will do the test according to standards set. A police officer on the side of the road is not SAE standards.

Agreed, except the PIA getting it tested because someone thought it was too loud.

I'd make my exhaust very easy to swap muffler if I ever had that happen. Swap out the straight through for a restrictive set of stockers and roll on in.

Unlike typical "fix-it" tickets, with this new law fixing it will not reduce the fine.
People would "fix" it, get it signed off, then put the loud system back on.
New law, problem solved.

That is the only thing that changed, the levels have not.
NO car regardless of age is exempt from the sound requirements, has always been this way.

Alan

Yeah, the spectre of a $1000 fine is aggregious if that's what you get hit with and will likely end up in a court battle at some point. If you are not "guilty" of an offense, a fine is a violation of due process is my guess.

Same as the "roadside" asset forfeiture BS that the PD's have been pulling on people for many years. No crime committed, take $$$ from people.

Nothing more than another tool for revenue generation in this state. I like it here, but, this is the type on thing that makes me want to move to another location.

Last edited:
I'm looking for input on mufflers. 318, Doug's headers, wanting to run 2.5" exhaust with Gibson MWA mufflers. Will it be too loud?

-
Back