California Title HELP!!!

-

mikeyb0013

Reaction score
I'm buying a Dart out of California and the owner sent me a copy of the Title. Rather than a 13 digit alpha/numeric VIN number it has a 9 digit numeric Vehicle ID number on the Title. Can anyone in California confirm that this is legitimate. The car was brought to California from another state which may have some bearing on the situation. I don't want this car to get to US Customs in Buffalo on its way to the Great White North and get stopped in paperwork hell!!! On the Title I received for my other Dart out of California it shows the VIN number on the Title.

Any help you folks can give me would be really appreciated.

Sometimes, the CA DMV does reissue ID #s for vehicles that do not have their original VIN plate. I would definitely ask the seller why it was reissued a # though. You can go poke around on the CA DMV site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ or call them at: 1-800-777-0133.

I called them and they did ask if the car came in from another State and this one did from Ohio. But the VIN plate is on the dash and the guy gave me the VIN number from there and the original Ohio bill of sale. I've asked him to go straighten it out with the DMV. He said it has been like that since he registered it. Another clue is that the car was part of a private collection for a few years.

Mike

They word the newer titles different then the originals. California like any other state updates their titles. And when you change ownership you get a newer title. Most likely this is what has happened and it is only the newer wording and updating that is shown. For the same vehicle the original paperwork would have VIN whereas the new style Vehicle ID. Same same different wording.

If it is a 1965 or earlier it should have a 10 digit number, which is the same one that is on the VIN.

At least you got a title .... I've been waiting since October for the guy to send me a title for my Duster. He has the old Pink title and 5 bills of sales,But that won't cut it in Wyoming. So I wait.... Glendora,Calif. ...... I call every couple weeks and "yea I gotta get to the DMV this week.." Getting old. But what can I do?????

Your title should match the vin exactly! If the vin is different then the original vin it usually means the car was a recovered theft or a car that was totaled out and rebuilt and NEEDED a new vin in order to be made roadworthy. I would be real cautious on this deal. You do not want to get stuck with a car like that but thats my opinion.

No it's a 74 and I have the actual VIN that he sent me which does not match the VIN on the title. This one is very strange I must say.

-
Back