Caliper is stuck, rebuild or buy new?

-

Patrick's74Custom

Reaction score
Well my passenger side caliper is stuck on, you can barely turn the wheel with your hands. Can anyone advise on the best place to buy a new caliper for a 1974 Dart or would a shop be able to rebuild it? Thanks!

Also this fix might help my gas mileage out a little, I'm getting 14 mpg highway :)

rock auto maybe??? I got mine, (had to order them)from advance auto took one day, ordered them on friday had em saturday. good luck oh and if it were me I would buy a set of 2 cause your other one might crap out next week, or at least thats what happens to me, maybe I just have bad luck....

You better make sure it's not the brake hose. They can act like a check valve and keep the caliper squeezed.
Open the bleeder and see if it frees up.

Thanks for the replies! One more thing- would you go with the Centric or Raybestos caliper brand?

A few years ago, I would have said Raybestos, but almost all of these companies are outsourcing now :sad1:.

Pick one and if you can, buy both sides, as they should be replaced in pairs.

IF it ends up being the caliper, I would rebuild it real quick.

I just bought a set for my '74 duster a couple months ago. I think it was around $40 for the pair at Orielly's

Remember though all this new stuff comes from overseas. You're talkin about brakes here. That's about as important as airplane wings. I would trust a rebuilt AMERICAN MADE Chrysler part any day over some crappy chinese knock off new or reman. Jus sayin.

I agree.....Could you show me one ?

Show you one what? A rebuilt Chrysler caliper? Not yet, but I will when I rebuild the ones I am putting on my Dart. I build all my brakes myself. I have not bought any hydraulic parts over the counter in about 20 years. Wagoner was the last brand I used but now they are crap.

C, would you like me to do a write up on rebuilding calipers? I'll be glad to. I should be able to afford the kits this weekend and I need to rebuild them anyway. How would that be?

Most, if not all of the rebuilt calipers in the aftermarket are original OEM parts. They are just rebuilt :scratch:

C, would you like me to do a write up on rebuilding calipers? I'll be glad to. I should be able to afford the kits this weekend and I need to rebuild them anyway. How would that be?

I think a caliper rebuild thread would be great. I'm not sure I've seen one here as rebuilt ones are pretty reasonable to buy :cheers:

That's true, but where do the new pistons come from? Not Chrysler. Not anymore. There are also unbranded calipers on the market that are overseas "new" knockoffs. They're all over FeeBay. I've just been building them myself for so long as a mechanic, I just do my own and don't even think about it.

I think a caliper rebuild thread would be great. I'm not sure I've seen one here as rebuilt ones are pretty reasonable to buy :cheers:

Long as the calipers aren't scored or rusted and the pistons are still good, the seal kits are under 10 bucks for both sides. It's more of a personal preference I guess. I prefer Rob calipers and brakes to mass produced ones. I will be doing my master cylinder and wheel cylinders as well. It's just something I've always done on all my cars.

I found reman. calipers for $25/side and brake pads for $15.00 set. I love how cheap parts for these cars are! So I'll get those installed and just box up and keep my original calipers, since they only give $5 each for a core refund. :)

Spend a few more bucks on some Duplicolor caliper paint and make sure the hoses are good.:cheers:

Spend a few more bucks on some Duplicolor caliper paint and make sure the hoses are good.

You're a psychic because I do need the brake hoses too!

-
Back