Caliper question

-

shadango

Reaction score
Hi folks...

Any of you folks familiar with the slider calipers used on R bodies?

I recently did a drum to disk conversion on my 72 Barracuda. My setup is a set of calipers/rotors from a 80 NYer and the "large" caliper mounting brackets.

I found that the slider calipers are making lots of noise when I hit bumps.

The calipers are actually loose enough on the mounts to move a bit when the brake is not depressed and the resulting noise is LOUD...resonates thru the whole front end.

Step on the brakes a little and the noise disappears.

I am starting to wonder if the little black rubber bands that came in the hardware kit and didn't use (I waas told they werent needed) are what would prevent this?

Any thoughts on this? I cannot figure out where the rubber bands/rings go for the life of me...

Thanks folks

You either have the wrong calipers with your bracket or the slider surface is worn down and allowing too large of a clearance. The caliper should not have any more room than it needs to fit in the bracket. I assume you have the spring clips installed and that they are in good shape.

You either have the wrong calipers with your bracket or the slider surface is worn down and allowing too large of a clearance. The caliper should not have any more room than it needs to fit in the bracket. I assume you have the spring clips installed and that they are in good shape.
Thanks for the reply.

The brackets are from a 78/79 cordoba I am told...The calipers are new and from an 80 NYer....and Rock Auto/Autozone list the same calipers for the two cars.

The clips are brand new.

Someone suggested I need to bend the clips more.....???

Do your brake pads have little tabs that need to be formed onto the caliper? If they do they will look kinda like hooks. Have someone step on the brake and you tap them down tight with a hammer and punch.

Update: If this pic is accurate, that is your prob. Those ears need to be formed around the caliper or you can tap them a little and reinstall until they fit tight. That should fix it.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

brakepads.jpg

You wanna lock the tabs on the OB pads (arrows) down tight so that they can not move independent of the caliper.

Do your brake pads have little tabs that need to be formed onto the caliper? If they do they will look kinda like hooks. Have someone step on the brake and you tap them down tight with a hammer and punch.

Update: If this pic is accurate, that is your prob. Those ears need to be formed around the caliper or you can tap them a little and reinstall until they fit tight. That should fix it.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

I will try that, but its not the pads moving in the calipers that is making the noise....the calipers are moving on the brackets themselves and "rattling"..... :sad10:

I have them installed like this:

brake-clip-picture.jpg

This diagram shows the rubber ring, but how does it install? Doesnt make sense it would just lay there....

index.php

You should also use the spray disc pad silencer but it does sound like you have another problem. The retainers are supposed to keep them from rattling so they may need to be bent a little...but i can't SEE it. LOL

P.S. the spray will keep the IB pad adhered to the piston and the OB pad adhered to the caliper. This will help it slide as one piece. Don't spray the slider "hooks" (I'm not talking about the ob pad hooks that I told you to bend...those you can spray)

You should also use the spray disc pad silencer but it does sound like you have another problem. The retainers are supposed to keep them from rattling so they may need to be bent a little...but i can't SEE it. LOL

P.S. the spray will keep the IB pad adhered to the piston and the OB pad adhered to the caliper. This will help it slide as one piece. Don't spray the slider "hooks" (I'm not talking about the ob pad hooks that I told you to bend...those you can spray)

I updated my post with pictures...the first one shows how I installed the metal plates....(not my install, just what I referenced).

The second photo shows the rubber rings I am talking about....seems like they are used for SOMETHING, just cant figure out what or why or how they install.

It looks like the little tab in the center should be bent down, but let me see what other info I can find

brake-clip-picture.jpg

You can see in this pic where they took a pair of pliers and bent the flange down so it was slightly preloaded against the caliper. thats what you need to do. Apply high temp disc brake grease on the sliders when you are done fitting everything. These were no the most precise brakes, but they work good once you get them set up
http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/Instructions/MDC62DC.pdf

yeah, iI've seen them in some of the parts list photos I have seen, but I don't know where you might use them. They don't exist in my Chilton's manual for our cars (DART DEMON 68-76) with the same type brakes.

The only o ring in the breakdown is installed on the base of the piston. What type of o ring is it? is it square edged?

The only o ring in the breakdown is installed on the base of the piston. What type of o ring is it? is it square edged?

Look in the blow-out diagram above...I am talking about "ring 05-06-17", near the adaptor.

It shows round in the picture, though it is oblong shaped in the kits.

Thats a great image and different from the one I had posted...!

So, still, now that I see how the rubber band goes, CA NOT figure out WHY they have it! LOL

Anyways, looks (so far) like the issue was CHEAP hardware that came with the pads.

The plates were very maleable. Very little pressure to bend them.

I went out and bought a new kit from NAPA and the plates are much harder and more like springs.

So far, so good....didnt try the REALLY bumpy roads yet but I think this definately helped.

-
Back