Calipers ? front or rear of center

-

rj72cda

Reaction score
i have put a couple disk brake swaps (junk yard style) and i always seem to have the calipers front of center on the front end . these were A and E bodies. My friend had a basket case 71 Roadrunner and asked me to pu it together also front of center he just picked up a similar 71 charger and it has calipers to the rear. Long and short Which is the CORRECT way for them to be

they can go either way. the spindles will fit either side. im sure there is some long complicated reason why then belong on either way but i move mine to the back if i have a sway bar. the brake hose sometimes has to be changed to allow clearance depending on where they end up. also you need to make sure the bleeder screw is up high so you can get all the air out. I have wilwood calipers with 4 corner bleeders so i have them to the back to clear my sway bar.

The "correct" way, ie, from the factory, is to the front.

But putting them to the rear does free up some space, especially on converted early cars, which can have sway bar clearance issues because they didn't originally have disks. Just remember that if you put them to the rear you need to switch the spindles and the calipers so the bleeders stay on top.

-
Back