Call me stupid! I.D. 8 & 3/4

-

sulery1

Hang 10er
Reaction score
I have a few stupid questions. To make a long story short if you can veiw my restoration project under " 74 Dart Sport ( Hang 10).
I know the rear end on my car is not the original. What I don't quite know is what it came from. I'm sure it is an 8 & 3/4. It has a 489 case. Is it safe to say the axle housing is also from a dodge? I am not very knowledgeable about this subject.
I know the 8 & 3/4 is very desirable. Is there any reason why I should'nt keep this on my car? I'm not sure why a preveous owner would replace only the rear end as the rest of the car was very original.
My car has always performed well & I don't think their is any problem but I want to get some other opinions.

I know they changed the bolt pattern but I don't know if there is an advantage to having large bolt or small bolt or how to tell the difference for that matter.

I have been looking at several mopar mags but no one really goes into depth about this subject. I know I need to learn a lot more about the rear end but I hope some of you can answer some of my questions. Thanks, Steve.
Project42.jpg

Project41.jpg

Project43.jpg

Project44.jpg
I thought when I got the chrome rims put on they were the ones that put the spacers on but it was about ten years ago & I don't recall. I think the two ralley rims that came on the car were on the rear.
Project25.jpg

Project42.jpg

Project41.jpg

Project43.jpg

Project44.jpg

Project25.jpg

I say it's a standard a-body 8 3/4 with a set of bolt pattern adapters mounted to the stock 5 on 4 axles/drums.

Keep the 8-3/4 rear. Your car probably came with a 7.25.

I would get rid of the adapters though. I just dont trust them. Either get new axles and redrill the drums for the big bolt pattern or get some small bolt pattern Rallyes for it.

Hey Stupid!!! Sorry Steve ... I just had to. ;-) I agree with Adam. I would keep the 8 3/4. There's no reason not to. As far as the adaptors go, I am not a big fan but I have know people for the past 25 years that have run them forever (or ... at least the last 25 years or so). I would never run them on a car that was meant for heavy street/trip duty but for a cruiser, I think they would be fine. This is of course, if you didn't want to modify yours or pick up new BBP parts. Again, I am digging the attention to detail underneath your H-10.

If a 8 3/4 can live behind a 426 automatic challenger/cuda,its good enough for a life time in a A-body.Keep the axles on the side and get a set of new big bolt pattern axles and be safe,get ride of the adapters,if your life means anything to you,mrmopartech

maybe 20 years ago a buddy of mine had a 71 mach 1. were out cruising one nite headed toward home when all of a sudden, THUMP, BANG!!! there goes the rr wheel passing us up on the side of the road. get rid of the adaptors!

maybe 20 years ago a buddy of mine had a 71 mach 1. were out cruising one nite headed toward home when all of a sudden, THUMP, BANG!!! there goes the rr wheel passing us up on the side of the road. get rid of the adaptors!

You see ... if no one ran these, there would be no stories and visuals like this one. ;-)

-
Back