Caltracs and 3/4 Offset Shackle Kit?

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I currently have brand new oem style 5-leaf springs and the rear end is pretty raked with that 70's look. Of course right now there is no convertible top, trunk lid, a full gas tank or interior to weigh the rear down. I would like the car to be lowered to where the wheel lip drops below the top of the rear tires.

I have heard you can flip the spring hangers to drop it some. The problem is that I have the offset shackle kit and do not believe these can be flipped.

Possible solution but am unsure about it:

I have a full A-body Caltracs setup with the mono-split-leafs and adjustible shocks that I was saving for my 68 Dart. I am thinking of putting them on my Valiant.

Will this help lower the car some? How is the street feel with Caltracs as well?

Hope some of you guys have some experience and can help me out.

Dave

assembly007.jpg

BUMP :)

I posted this last year.

Would like to know before I tear out the currents springs and replace them with the Caltracs setup.

Anyone have info on the offset kit and Caltracs?

Figure out the approx. weight of the parts missing, specially a full tank and place the weight in the car. The springs will sag somewhat w/the added weight.

Looks like you are missing a few hundred pounds. I would think it will be sitting right where you want it when it is all to gether.

I have heard you can flip the spring hangers to drop it some. The problem is that I have the offset shackle kit and do not believe these can be flipped.

You can flip the offset front hangers, it will require that you cut off part of the hanger. I know this because I just did this mod last week. When you get the hangers and springs off the car flip the hangers to the opposite side of the car and take your measurements. You will need to cut 1 - 2 inches off of the now top of the bracket. I used a cut off wheel on my 4 inch grinder to do this job. You will also need to slot two of the mounting holes. Take your time and remember to measure twice and cut once.

Those new springs will sag somewhat too with time. And as said before, you're missing a good bit of weight. Get someone to sit in the trunk and see how far down it drops.

codfish

the caltracs will sit where the car sat new ,but when i ordered mine i went 1" lower and they are very good on the road especially a quick start from the light

Figure a full tank of fuel at 20 gallons for a rough number is ~130#, thrown on bumper and brackets, another 30-40#, you vert top structure, back seat, trim, etc. I'd put at least 250# in the trunk and see how it looks.

See, you can get Johnny to help out next time he's over surfing! :-D

-
Back