Cam advice for ill advised 318 combo?

-
Real quick, on the j heads, cc them...cause new valves sitting on a bigger seat 'sitting proud' can reduce the chamber volume quite a bit and you may find out that the chamber a lot smaller than any of us can assume. Last set of 72 cc 1.88 heads I did ended up a 62 cc's after installing 2.02/1.60 valves and a .010 mill, valves sit proud on a fresh seat that hasn't been cut a dozen times.

Real quick, on the j heads, cc them...cause new valves sitting on a bigger seat 'sitting proud' can reduce the chamber volume quite a bit and you may find out that the chamber a lot smaller than any of us can assume. Last set of 72 cc 1.88 heads I did ended up a 62 cc's after installing 2.02/1.60 valves and a .010 mill, valves sit proud on a fresh seat that hasn't been cut a dozen times.

I believe I've seen you mention this exact same thing before-I forwarded this to my brother since he bought the oddball 915s from a member here a few weeks ago.

That's a good point I'll have to get them out and look... Been boxed away a while and I don't really remember...

So no one here is running a factory choke setup with headers??

Thanks again guys !!

my experiance with the J heads and low compression has been they like a lot of lift. If you can live with lower RPM an RV cam will rip the wheels off just about anything. (ours was an 87 conversion van!) Fuel economy suffers though. But I'm with CS on that one. LOL

-
Back