Cam choice...is 2800 to much stall for this cam?

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
A comp cam I have decided on has and operating rpm range of 2000-5800. And calls for 2000+ stall.
My duster has 2800 stall. Is this to much stall or am I ok to run this cam. Mostly street driven car, 3.91 gears.
340 bored .030

From http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/selectingconverter.html:

Here are some general guidelines for selecting a converter:

According to B&M, the stall speed should be rated at about 500-750 RPM under your engine's peak torque RPM. If you don't know this figure, be conservative in your estimate. You don't want to end up with a converter that has too high of a stall speed. Don't be too conservative, though - it is possible to get a converter with too low of a stall speed, which will have roughly the same effect as too high of a stall speed.

Know your camshaft specifications. If your cam has less than 220 degrees duration (@ 0.050" lift), which most street machines do, you make most of your torque down low in the RPM range, and you probably won't need more than a 2500 RPM stall speed, if even that much.

Have a good idea of your vehicle's weight. Remember, lighter vehicles will lower the rated stall speed; heavier vehicles will have the opposite effect.

High stall converters generate a lot of extra heat. The installation of an external transmission cooler is mandatory with a higher than stock stall speed converter. Actually, you should have one in there anyway. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions - 85% of all trannies die because of inadequate cooling.

The best advice I can give anyone buying a converter is to talk to the manufacturer. They know torque converters better than anybody, and can help you to select exactly the right converter for your combination. This article was designed to give you some insight into what is needed to determine the right converter, and to make you familiar with the terms and what you need to know to speak intelligently with the experts.

Just my 2 cents.
2000 to 2400 rpm.
Too high up in the range and you'll blow the tires off
or break stuff if it hooks and have no usable rpm for acceleration.
You already have 3.91's and will run out of power before the
5800 rpm limit on the cam.
Got curious, What is your guess on a shift point and distance you
will be covering if in a race?

Never even driven this car before. I'm guess ill be shifting at 6000. My last duster with a 318 bored 30 over. 2500 convertor I shifted at 6000
Our track closed a year ago and torn down. There are talks about building a new one but who knows for sure. Quarter mile track is what we did have and I'm sure would be again.

A comp cam I have decided on has and operating rpm range of 2000-5800. And calls for 2000+ stall.
My duster has 2800 stall. Is this to much stall or am I ok to run this cam. Mostly street driven car, 3.91 gears.
340 bored .030

I'm running a 274 xtreme comp cam. Its in my .30 over 360. I'm running a stock stall with 3.91 gears. I ordered a 2800 to 3200 stall for it. I might and I mean might have stalled 2k. It really acted a lot like my stock stall did. So I changed back to the stock stall. I don't think you should have any problems with it. I called a local convertor shop in Alabama and he said with several guys on here I would need a 4200 stall to make 3k stall in my car. He took about a hour to tell me how the stalls work. I hope this helps.

What eng/car did this 2800 stall converter come out of?
What cam was in that eng.

My 340 duster I just bought and it's kid of a mystery car because the guy I bought it from never even touched it. Here's what I know.
Has 3.91s
2800 stall
Crane cam and valve train (no idea what cam yet)
Bored 0.30
Porter J heads with hardened seats.
Rpm air gap

The engine was blowing blue and failed a leakdown test , so I have it ripped apart now down to the short block/bottom end still in car.
Going to get it rebuilt and thought i should swap in a new cam while I'm at it.
This is all I know about the car.

My 340 duster I just bought and it's kid of a mystery car because the guy I bought it from never even touched it. Here's what I know.
Has 3.91s
2800 stall
Crane cam and valve train (no idea what cam yet)
Bored 0.30
Porter J heads with hardened seats.
Rpm air gap

The engine was blowing blue and failed a leakdown test , so I have it ripped apart now down to the short block/bottom end still in car.
Going to get it rebuilt and thought i should swap in a new cam while I'm at it.
This is all I know about the car.

I have 3in exhaust and a x pipe. I can tell you that 274xe sounds nasty in mine. It pulled the dyno passed 5800 rpm. I pulled 300whp with basically the said set up.

Sound clips?
[ame="http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h336/bamamopar/225.mp4"]
th_225.jpg
[/ame]

-
Back