Cam Curious

-

Michael Siple

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
340 engine removed for repair . We've run it for the last 6 years not knowing too much about it. Solid flat tap cam & lifter. Thought I would learn more about cam but my searches come up empty.

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

The number stamped on the back is it. All the rest are casting numbers about the core and where and when it was cast. And no, I don't know how to read them, I just know that's what they are. lol A six digit number could be an old Crane or Cam Dynamics number. Just to try and give you a little direction.

@Bighead440 is really sharp at this kinda thing and he has a lot of literature. If he can spare a minute maybe he'll chime in.

FWIW, the only aftermarket Mopar v8 FT cams I’ve ever seen that weren’t parkerized(black/dark gray lobes) were from Mopar.

The cam in the pics isn’t parkerized.

I’ll add that based on the looks of the shape of the nose of the lobe in this pic, I’d guess it’s noticeably more duration than a stock cam.

Measuring the lobe lift would probably shed some light on what cam it could be.

F58FBCE7-FD3D-460E-AB38-18D419266E81.jpeg

3B408C23-04F0-4CF0-ADC0-D982392AD110.png

Last edited:
Measuring the lobes will only give you the lift on the cam card. If you want the other specs you could drop the cam in an engine and use a degree wheel to see where the opening and closing points are for the valves and calculate the duration.

-
Back