Cam Gear Drive?

-
I have the Milodon gear drive on my 408, and yea, they say to use newspaper to set up. I had to drill and tap a hole in the block for the gear mounting plate, not a big deal. I'd say the Milodon is a quality gear set, if I could also find the CAT gear drive, i'd buy it. They were just as good as the Milodon, only a bit less expensive.

I have the Milodon gear drive on my 408, and yea, they say to use newspaper to set up. I had to drill and tap a hole in the block for the gear mounting plate, not a big deal. I'd say the Milodon is a quality gear set, if I could also find the CAT gear drive, i'd buy it. They were just as good as the Milodon, only a bit less expensive.

How did you set up the oiling drip tab in my question above? Do you have any pics?

How did you set up the oiling drip tab in my question above? Do you have any pics?

Ya know, that's something I didn't really address. What I did do was drill a small hole (1/16" I think) in the oil galley plugs by the cam, this essentially "sprays" oil on the cam gears. I think they mention that in the "How to Hot Rod the Small Block Mopar" book.

Ya know, that's something I didn't really address. What I did do was drill a small hole (1/16" I think) in the oil galley plugs by the cam, this essentially "sprays" oil on the cam gears. I think they mention that in the "How to Hot Rod the Small Block Mopar" book.

Thanks, I have that book at home. I'll check it out when I get home this evening.

:thankyou:

Apologies for the thread hijack/derail.

Hey YR, how do you set up the timing chain oiling tab with the Milodon 13600 timing gears? Or, do you skip that tab with the gears and just rely o splash oiling? I'm pulling the trigger on one next paycheck.

View attachment 1715195251

Since I forgot the bolt on my bench this morning that you see missing there, it ain't getting the oil hole drilled until Monday.

-Aaron

P.S.
This block will be painted black since it's a '91 360, it should set off the aluminum parts off nicely in the eventual RED engine compartment

Skip the tab and drill a .040-.060 (no bigger) hole in the gear drive retaining plate. That's ASSuming you will be using a Milodon GD. You won't use the cam retention plate if you are using a Milodon GD. Drill the hole so it breaks into the passenger side oil gallery.

Gear drive takes care of a sloppy chain when the crank moves closer to the cam because of boring or honing the mains. Gear drives have an idler fixed to the cover or the idler fixed to a plate bolted to the cover. Fixed to the cover requires that the cover be shifted on the block to get the correct backlash. Then the cover is pinned by drilling and using new locating dowels. The plate style sets the lash by moving the plate and torquing the four nuts and bolts down. Whatever you do, make sure to use a Torrington bearing behind the cam gear.

The cat drive I bought had soft metal/poor or no heat treat hardening. If you can mark it with a hand file it will fail.

I ran a Pete Jackson gear drive for a few years behind a chrome Mopar cover on a 498 with Indy heads, roller cam, Milodon oil system, Dominator carb and big shot plate. Never gave it a second thought. Eventually ran 8.90s with it.

Last edited:
Yep. That idler has two different sized gears. Under acceleration, it sucks the big gear (IIRC...could be the other way around but the point is the same) into the can and crank gear. Lift off the throttle and the floater slams the small gear back into the cam and crank gear.

I don't recall how much the timing changes between the gears but it was more than I liked. Certainly more than even a timing chain.

Bad news. As a long time family friend told me long ago...junk is junk at ANY price.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL

-
Back