Cam Selection Time

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Time to crack open the piggy bank marked Cuda Resurrection Fund and buy some stuff to make this lump drivable again. I'm ready to buy parts, including a cam. I'm running a MP short block that was advertised as a 9.5:1 compression version. I doubt if the CR is above that including the milled heads. The induction is a stock 6 Bbl, Crane 1.5 roller rockers, MSD pro-billet & 6AL, Hooker super comp's into 2.5" exhaust w/ 2 chamber Flowmasters. The car is a 4 spd. w/ 4.10 sure grip. I want it to run strong, but not be a tempermental little *****. I was considering the Comp Cams XE284H. Or do you think the XE274H is a better choice? I want that raspy idle with a good top end charge. Fuel mileage is of no concern since this will be a toy.

Fire away....
2gunsfiring.gif

XE274H. I picked one up a few months ago for my car. OnehellofaDart has one in his car also.

AdamR said:
XE274H. I picked one up a few months ago for my car. OnehellofaDart has one in his car also.

How's it sound & perform? I want good power, and that nasty-*** idle. The 274 was my first choice... the 284 might be too much.

the 284 will have a good bit of idle lope, and will be a mostly top end cam, where the 274 will still have some torque, taking a look at the stall speeds they recommend shows that, 2200 for the 274 and 3000+ for the 284

John, Tonys Dart sounded pretty nasty. I would have thought his cam was bigger. He ran low 13s last year if I remember right with 3.91s. The 284 will be pretty soft on the bottom. Maybe not to bad with your 4.10s and 4 speed.

AdamR said:
John, Tonys Dart sounded pretty nasty. I would have thought his cam was bigger. He ran low 13s last year if I remember right with 3.91s. The 284 will be pretty soft on the bottom. Maybe not to bad with your 4.10s and 4 speed.

My ears where ringing.
John when I first start the car even the guys at the track turn and look.
She sounds more than healthy, Thank you Adam.:salut:
Last year went from 14.8 to 13.212 with the 274 & 3:91's.
4:30's in there now and some trans work, And new stall 3800 ;)
I'm hoping to get well into the 12's[-o<
We will see Saturday at the Nats:burnout:

Get a custom ground cam designed just for your combination from Scott Brown at Straightline Performance. My cam with lifters was only $261 shipped. A little more than a off-the-shelf Comp cam through Summit, but everybody I have talked to about Scott's cams says they are worth it.

-
Back