Cam Shafts

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question for ya. As for Cam Shafts, is there a difference in cams for auto and manual trannys? I have never heard of this. I thought that a cam was a cam no matter what transmission you were running. The reason I ask this is because a friend of mine recently bought, is what I believe a .484 mopar cam for his BB mopar and he is having some problems. The car idles in neutrual
at 1200RPM and when he puts it into gear the R's drop down to around 500rpm and he said that this is caused by the duration degree of the cam
confused.gif
. He said the cam he has was meant for a manual transmission. He right now has a 2400 stall in his car. I told him sounds like he has a vaccum problem somewhere. What do you guys think about this?

confused.gif

confused.gif

The factory had slightly hotter cams for four speeds since their was no torque convertor to affect idle/driveability but there is no desiganted cams for one or the other in the aftermarket and the factory four speed ones are fine with a stall.There could be a bunch of things going on with his car such as timing,carb issues and low compression,the first two can help mask that with proper tuning.Im also guessing he doesnt have a true 2400 stall because thats alot of drag on the engine when put it gear,if his stall was that loose he would only drop a couple hundred but not seven,the convertor is a bit tight.

Ok Lead thanx, I was also told this on another mopar forum...I think he has a vaccum problem somewhere. Just had a new pump put into his tranny along with the new 2400 B&M stall so something was not either connected properly or totally not connected at all. Oh and I might add that he has a 440 .030 with a .484 cam...

That the same thing I got with the cam in the Duster. It's a
MP purple shaft cam. 484/ 284. I think? was in the car when I
got it. I love the HP and Tq of it, but the idle stinks. I want
to replace it. What do you guys recomend. I still want the power
but I got to have a good idle.

Brian that 484 cam should not be a problem in your Duster if the timing is advanced correctly. I have a 509 MP purple cam in my 340 Duster and it idles sweet at 1200RPM in nuetrual and 1000 R's while in Drive and this is with a 3500 Stall.

the ONLY time chrysler used different cams in autos and 4 speeds was the 1968 340 cars. The 4 speeds got a slightly hotter camshaft.

-
Back