Cam suggestions, please

-
IMO, Do the things that don't cost much, if anything FIRST! Getting initial timing in the 20+ range would be a great start and tailor the mechanical advance to hit a safe number. Ignition timing takes a bit of elbow grease to get done, BUT, it's really important to get the engine to run well throughout the operating range.

A good converter would be next up. That's an aggressive cam for a street car and needs some flash stall to work well when you pedal it. I have the same style cam MP 292/508 in a 340. Timing is locked out at 36*. It's gets pulled down horribly at idle by a 2500 stall Hughes converter and take too long to pull through to where it makes good power. A nice 3500-4000 tight converter would do wonders for it.

Spend 250-300 on a smaller cam or another 200-300 on a good converter. The net change and risk of killing a cam aren't there with a converter. Not to mention oil leaks... :)

Good luck finding a converter for 200-300 for what you want it to do, more like 500-600 minimum.250-300 on a cam and lifters is high. more like 175-250. I dont care what the op does its his money just giving my thoughts.

Let me help with the math. 250-300 or another 200-300 = 450-600 on a converter.

Gaskets/Oil/Filters and everything else that goes into a cam swap must be free?

I'll spend money on a converter which will be leaps and bounds better for performance instead of neutering the engine. YMMV :)

although all mean well and there are some good suggestions,no one has answered his question...the request is for some cam suggestions.
..maybe comp 262 XE or Lunati Voodoo 602 for a street engine.The next step 268 and 603 may
be o.k but the smaller two should give you more low end and pull nicely to 5500

No matter what cam you buy you really should have a quality and correct convertor. They aren't cheap.

-
Back