camshaft and crank keys

-

6dart9

Reaction score
Just about to put the pistons in my 73 340 i am building but before i do i want to make sure i understand the camshaft keys or offset keys and the woodruff key portion of the build.

I installed a new comp cams 268xe cam. to my understanding there s 4 degrees advance built into the cam. So because of this should i use a 4 degree advance cam key and a 4 degree advance woodruff key. I read everything that came with the cam/timing set and it doesn't really say if you are supposed to or not. The timing set mentioned it (0degree 4 degree advance and 4 degree retard) but it also said it can be run at 0 degrees with no problems. I have the keys so i can quickly switch them out but if it is not going to be a problem then i won't worry about it.

I figured someone would know here. I wanted to be sure before i went any further.

thanks in advance.
justin

Comp cams do have 4 degrees of advance ground into them so there's no reason to run any offset key. The standard key will put it where it's ground at which is 4 degrees advance. That is if the timing set is indexed right. I tested 3 different timing sets last year and none were the same. That said I always degree in all cams I install.

The only way to know exatly where your cam is degreed is to use a degree wheel and set it up like the manufactur intended it to be.

I wouldn't use any of those keys until you find out whether the cam is phased/degreed properly. You may be wasting your time with any offset keys.

Degree it using the 0 marks and see where you need to move it. Otherwise it's like throwing darts in the dark.

ok cool i have a degree wheel so i will be degreeing it.

-
Back