camshaft help with my dirt racecar

-

lynch 340

Reaction score
Looking for some help on choosing a sold cam for my dirt car running a mopar 340 with j heads running 4412 carb thanks

Hang on and someone will give you a thought/direction Lynch, There is a builder here that has dun a few small block short dirt track builds :glasses7: Let me do a few searches :-k

Tell us about what kind of racing it is and car it is as well as how big the track is and any limiting rules reguarding the engine. Class rules?

Wissota super stock. we run half mile track. I have a bullet cam sitting here just wondering your thoughts thanks the cam I have is nf50/nf52f6 .016 lash straight across

give Hughes Engines a call. Friend of mine use to run mopar dirt cars. Had excellent luck with them.

Have you raced the car before ? Just run what ya have and try not to spend a lot. Get a season under your belt. Listen, watch, ask questions, help others, stay out of the way of the faster cars. It would seem after a season of racing this next winter you'd know exactly what cam, rearend gear, tire off set- ect.....
I drag raced last year for the first time and was not competitive, but I watched, listened, asked questions. I'm making my adjustments this winter and hopefully will be at the start of being competitive?????
On the other hand - I could be wayyyyyyyyy off hear and the op could be a seasoned veteran of the dirt track and not know the correct cam to use? :coffee2:

Looking for some help on choosing a sold cam for my dirt car running a mopar 340 with j heads running 4412 carb thanks

Choice #1
Lunati
#LUN-30200912

You want a tight LSA for a peaky powerband and the most HP you can get. This will help you come off the corners and get up to peak HP quickly. You can go a little wilder with you cam selection since you are in motion with the gear of your choice at high RPM the whole race.

Choice #2

Com cams
#20-618-5

If you look through a Mopar Performance engine book, you can get some ideas on what types of grinds are good. They have oval track cams listed by track length.

-
Back