Camshaft ID and recommendation

-

Dartsun

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
Hello all I have a 1969 Dart with a 1969 340 bored .030 over with TRW L2316 pistons. It has Slighty ported J Heads and 2.02 valves. Mopar performance dual plane intake with 340 exhaust manifolds it will have a 727 with what I was told a 2600 stall. Leaning towards a 3.23 sure grip for rear 8 /4. I removed the camshaft tonight because I've had this engine for 8 years never knew what was in it and it's been on a stand for few years (to many projects) On the rear of shaft it says CS 178R and 270 1177. Does anybody know what cam that is and if it would be good for my combo? Recommendations on a new cam also? If I left anything out on engine info lemme know. Thanks guys this site is the best. Dustin

[ame]http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com/en-US/Technical/Documents/Camshaft%20-%20CS178R.pdf[/ame]

Thanks cracked back I don't know much about cam lifts and duration.Is that a good cam for good low to mid range street car. Dustin

It's sort of a slow lift rate cam. Long duration at at advertised and about mid range .050 duration. Should be somewhat choppy being on a 108 separation angle.

With that duration at .050, I'd rather have a XE268H, magnum 280h or Voodoo 403 cam. Probably run better. That 178 camshaft will still run well and most likely make power to the 5300-5500 range with a decent combo of parts around it.

I suspect that cam would run very similar to a stock 340 cam in the real world. Since you can drop it right back in at virtually no cost, that may be the most economical way to go? If you want to upgrade, and since you have a little head work, plus looking at a 3.23 gear, I'd look at the XE268 and the 901 springs like "cracked" mentioned.

Why? For a 10-15 HP gain. Not worth the money with the cam you have if it's in good shape. JMO.

If budget is any concern, I would keep it in mind too. My guesstimate in power difference might even be too generous. If I had that cam you have and it was in good shape, I wouldn't think about getting something else.

Now if I was racing, I would look for something to squeeze out al I could.

-
Back