Camshaft Identification

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Hey guys, just pulled this cam from an ‘84 360. Was told by the previous owner it’s not a stock cam, but no idea.

Measured lobe lift and they both came to 0.435” with a 1.5 rocker, so it’s a dual pattern cam. Haven’t found any with that lift, but did find a single pattern Mopar .430” purple cam. This one isn’t purple, but still doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Posted pics of cam ID stamping. Shows as follows.

SP
69 02 99

Thanks for any help!

87C6F347-6140-49CA-991C-09E8B91D1E7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey guys, just pulled this cam from an ‘84 360. Was told by the previous owner it’s not a stock cam, but no idea.

Measured lobe lift and they both came to 0.435” with a 1.5 rocker, so it’s a dual pattern cam. Haven’t found any with that lift, but did find a dual pattern Mopar .430” purple cam. This one isn’t purple, but still doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

SP
69 02 99

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 1715541825

If the int and ex are the same pattern it’s not a dual pattern camshaft !! It’s a single pattern camshaft !!

If the int and ex are the same pattern it’s not a dual pattern camshaft !! It’s a single pattern camshaft !!
You’re right. My brain said single and my thumbs said dual. Correcting the original post. Thanks.

That's actually an SR. I've got a similar one in hand right now. It's an older Summit racing grind, .437/.443 is what it measures using an indicator on the lobes with it in a block. I'll check the numbers, though. There's a PAW SSI catalog of different PN's that I'll check to see if those match. SR may also mean "Stock Replacement".

Why did you pull it???

You should have left it in and degreed it...

Measured lobe lift and they both came to 0.435” with a 1.5 rocker, so it’s a dual pattern cam. Haven’t found any with that lift, but did find a single pattern Mopar .430” purple cam. This one isn’t purple, but still doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

SP
69 02 99

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 1715541825

Get a caliper and measure the lobes on the lobe circle and then across the lobe, subtract those two readings and multiply by 1.5 to get a ball park of the lift of the cam...

For duration, you need to degree it..

That's actually an SR. I've got a similar one in hand right now. It's an older Summit racing grind, .437/.443 is what it measures using an indicator on the lobes with it in a block. I'll check the numbers, though. There's a PAW SSI catalog of different PN's that I'll check to see if those match. SR may also mean "Stock Replacement".

It won't be a stock replacement with .430 lift.

From the latest information I've found it's an Elgin E-1828-SR grind, probably superseded by one of these grinds from the Elgin catalog.
E-578-S 1500-4000 Int .429 279 209 50 Hyd. 112 HL-2011 Exh .444 289 220 116 CL-578K

The 1828 SR number apparently wasn’t a Chrysler exclusive grind, either. A few folks on some GM and Ford forums looking for information on the same series of numbers stamped onto their cams, too.

The 1828 SR number apparently wasn’t a Chrysler exclusive grind, either. A few folks on some GM and Ford forums looking for information on the same series of numbers stamped onto their cams, too.
In that case its one of millions made by one of the two big production cam outfits in Michigan and packaged in a Comp/Crane/Summit/Jegs/Elgin/Wolverine/etc. box.

Nothing bad about that (except it's not ground on a Mopar 904 core)...

Numbers on this one are also 1829 SR followed by 69 09 93 stamped below it. No seperate serail number.

You’re right! Didn’t notice that was an R until you mentioned it. Thank you.

-
Back